Belemnite Madagascar?

Seguidora-de-Isis

Hello! Good afternoon to all! I have noticed that every year, the Chinese import tons of these supposed belemnites from Madagascar to resell over the internet. And now, I noticed that a Chinese seller announced on our favorite auction site that these belemnites are of the species belemnopsis tangarensis. My question is whether these belemnites of Madagascar are real even, and is there any scientific study that could actually define them as being of the belemnopsis tangarensis species? And what is the age in millions of years of these supposed belemnites? Thank you for all kind of help! :)

01.PNG

02.PNG

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

I dunno anything about Belemnites specifically from Madagaskar. But those definitely are Belemnites.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

And they mostly do appear to be belemnopsids but I can't find anything about that exact species.

Dealer IDs for belemnites are often wrong anyway but it's feasible. They have a lower Cretaceous or upper Jurassic look about them, based on European ones I know.

Tarquin

While those are definitely belemnites I doubt that they can be confidently assigned to any genus or species.  Belemnite species are determined based on characters associated with the cavity where the phragmocone inserts, not the tip of the guard.  Unfortunately all those specimens are missing the relevant part of the guard.  I suspect that, when dealing with broken specimens, people are more likely to keep fragments that show the tip as they appear "more complete".

Don

They really look like bullets of shotgun.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

31 minutes ago, fifbrindacier said:

They really look like bullets of shotgun.

They used to be known as lightning stones, they were thought to have been at the end of bolts of lightning, shot into the ground (like a bullet). Made perfect sense especially in Germany when they would appear after rainstorms (when in fact they were welling up from the mud). 

Ive never heard of Madagasy belemnites either, but I don’t see why they wouldn’t exist.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I agree that determining a specific species would be difficult, if not impossible. For instance, they look exactly like Belemniten americana which are found in the cretaceas deposits of Big Brook New Jersey. They even appear to be made up of the same orange/ brown looking calcite. I am not saying that is where they are from. But these are internal molds of the head. They lack any identifiable characteristics. Atleast to my knowledge. Sorry if there is anything misspelled.:D

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Archived