Amazing, please help

Craig79

Please could anyone hep me id this fossil me and my 8 year old daughter Ruth found it is beyond my amateur knowledge i can send more pics if needs be we found it semi submerged in clay on good fossil hunting grounds in the north east of england

20180126_022540.jpg

Welcome to TFF!

It would help if You provide pictures that show all sides of this object with a scale, and give a more precise location (nearby town).

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Also, if you found other fossilized items it is helpful to know what other types of fossils you found nearby. E.g. marine vs terrestrial fossils, vertebrate vs invertebrate, plant vs animal. Sometimes even if we know the town it was found in or near, there may be more than one geological formation within the stated area. So the other fossils help narrow down the options as to what it could be.

Very cool looking and wonderful that you found it with your daughter. That is making memories for both of you.

To me this resembles a three-dimensional cast of Calamites, specifically a tip. To get the general picture, see e.g. this link. Your specimen has broader ribs, of course, but this is species dependent. I recall having seen something similar to yours in the plate atlas of Kidston and Jongmans (1915-1917). Unfortunately, at the moment I do not have access to this publication.

• I found this Informative 6

Searching for green in the dark grey.

hdtouvrcalcitlptttryhhmjjpwillist.jpg

"C. undulatus"

Given the amount of plates in Kidston & Lang, I think Tim(Paleoflor) has a remarkable memory 

edit:Kidston & Jongmans,obviously.APologies to everyone

• I found this Informative 5

50 minutes ago, paleoflor said:

To me this resembles a three-dimensional cast of Calamites, specifically a tip. To get the general picture, see e.g. this link. Your specimen has broader ribs, of course, but this is species dependent. I recall having seen something similar to yours in the plate atlas of Kidston and Jongmans (1915-1917). Unfortunately, at the moment I do not have access to this publication.

That was my first thought too.

• I found this Informative 2

Tarquin

7 minutes ago, TqB said:

That was my first thought too.

I could go with this as well.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

@doushantuo : If you have access to the plates of Kidston and Jongmans (1915-1917), can you look up Calamites steinhaueri for comparison?

• I found this Informative 1

Here you go:

hdtouvrcalcitlptttryhhmjjpwillist.jpg

Everybody has access to the Atlas (BIODIVERSITY HERITAGE LIB.), but the Text is nowhere to be found

Simply based on morphology, you'd have to say fig. 1 seems a dead ringer

• I found this Informative 8

Thanks for pointing out that the atlas is available online! Will save me a lot of time now I no longer have to make scans. Figure 1 indeed shows the specimen of Calamites steinhaueri that I was reminded of. Rather rare species. Will check the provenance in the text volume when I get home tonight. Thought it came from the UK...

• I found this Informative 2

thank you everyone who replied we love fossil hunting altho I'm not very good at identifying what they are much to the dismay of Ruth.

The other unrelated fossil found by ruth close by to my original upload it was found near Ulrome near Bridlington 

resized 1.jpg

resized 2.jpg

resized 3.jpg

resized.jpg

It's cool, and it was cool also when it was deposited during the Devensian glaciation period, being from the Carboniferous. :)

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library