Half a shark tooth, any ideas? Florida

Cthulhu2

Quite honestly, not even half a tooth there. However from the look of the serrations and the piece of tooth, I would call this an extremely water worn and broken O. megalodon. 

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

4 minutes ago, sixgill pete said:

Quite honestly, not even half a tooth there. However from the look of the serrations and the piece of tooth, I would call this an extremely water worn and broken O. megalodon. 

Thanks man! A bit of a tooth is better than none I suppose, haha. :)

1 hour ago, sixgill pete said:

Frag-lodon

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

3 hours ago, sixgill pete said:

O. megalodon

I’ll never get used to that...

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Chunky shark.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Looking at the serrations, I have a feeling that I should agree that this is a meg. You can see that the serrations are quite fine and quite crowded. I'm used to a great white's serrations being sharper, more spread out, and inconsistent in each serration's size (said it wrong?).

4 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:
7 hours ago, sixgill pete said:

O. megalodon

I’ll never get used to that...

Same here. Even though it's likely that the genus Carcharocles may be discarded, I really want to keep it as Carcharocles megalodon

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

17 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

Even though it's likely that the genus Carcharocles may be discarded, I really want to keep it as Carcharocles megalodon

I had no idea this was under debate! I had heard about the Carcharodon vs. Carcharocles  debate and talks over whether or not the modern Great White is a descendant, but this is crazy! I'm with you on this one; I really don't want it to be discarded. If it happens, however, it would be for good reason. The world of science is always changing

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

8 minutes ago, HoppeFossilHunting said:

I had no idea this was under debate! I had heard about the Carcharodon vs. Carcharocles  debate and talks over whether or not the modern Great White is a descendant, but this is crazy! I'm with you on this one; I really don't want it to be discarded. If it happens, however, it would be for good reason. The world of science is always changing

I think there should be little doubt Carcharocles (or Otodus) is not the GWs predecessor. The other thing is a lumper/splitter debate (how many slices can you get out of a loaf of bread). Going on how modern sharks have been classified, Otodus may win out (bad name though, “ear tooth”). But as you say, these things are fluid, change could be a’coming but currently it’s O. megalodon (as much as it pains me to say it)

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Whether it's half a tooth or not, nice find there. I wish I could find megs. 

"The first fossil you find will always have a special place in your heart. You will hold it dear to you, as it is the beginning of a pathway of adventure and discovery." - Nathan Tan @Ammonight

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Half a shark tooth, any ideas? Florida

Archived