Double Schmubble Tumido Trouble!!!

RJB

Got home from the Quartzite show on monday and was sick as a dog.  Made for a brutal 2 day drive home!  But today, feeling a bit better and finally went out to the prep garage.  Picked out two small Tumido concretions and decided to do one Ventral and the other Dorsal.  I had a lot  of fun doing that ventral Pulalius so I decided I needed a ventral Tumido.  Anyways, the one I decided ventral on was an easy read and after a few hours hit ventral.  Put that one aside and went on the prep attack on the other.  Was'nt positive on what was ventral/dorsal so dug a hole.  Dang!!!  Ventral again!   Turned it over and got to work.  Hit dorsal and oh boy!!!   Hit pay dirt with this one!!!  No calcite and the rock came off super good!!!  Just that way its suposed to be.  This dorsal one looks to be a very very very good crab!!!?   Im so excited I can hardly stand it!  I had the witherall to call it quits and turned it over and fixed the hole.  Cant freakin wait for tommorow.   Oh, and im now down 40 freakin lbs.   Just a fabulous day!!!   Life is good. 

2Crab001A.JPG

2Crab001B.JPG

2Crab001C.JPG

2Crab001D.JPG

Looking forward to seeing your treasure!:popcorn:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Another episode in the epic saga of crab prep, I’m hooked! :popcorn::popcorn:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Good thing you have two hands, Ron! This could be your first ambidextrous prep. :P:D 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thanks fella's, I know they dont look like much now but time will change that.  I did impress myself with the 'hole fix' though. 

RB

On 1/27/2018 at 5:14 AM, RJB said:

I did impress myself with the 'hole fix' though. 

RB

What’s it the hole fix or the whole fix? :P

You sir are a machine on these crabs. Can’t wait to see the end results but I can probably guess what they will look like.

4 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

You sir are a machine on these crabs.

The thing is, im doing two crabs at one time!  Holding one scribe in the left hand and one in the right, The hard part is trying to concentrate with the left eyeball on the left crab and the right eyeball on the right crab!!!   I'm the only guy in the world that can do this!  :)   But really, the dorsal crab has the most pristeen carapace ive seen in a very long time!  So excited about this one.  Did about 7 more hours of prep and im starting to get somewhere.  Still a long ways to go with lots of rock to remove though.  But still, one happy camper here. 

RB

2Crab001E.JPG

Ok,,,, Ive figured out 4 things.  1st, ventrals are tuff.  2nd, ventrals are tuff.  3rd, ventrals are tuff, and 4th, dont do it!!!   The dorsal crab on the left is turning out fantastic!!!   Im just in love with this crab!   Ive still got a long ways to go but by golly, im gettin there.  Gots lots of rock to remove still and then the 3-d process before I can start the 'smoothing' out process.  But for now Im one happy camper.  Ive put in another 6 1/2 hours into these. 

RB

2Crab001F.JPG

If anyone can pull off a ventral crab, it would be you.  Don't throw in the towel!  Actually, I think the ventral view is more interesting on these big but smooth crabs.

Don

Thanks guys.  Im gunna take a break for a couple days and take care of the misses.  We both have colds but mine is just about over.  Time for some left over  ribeye steak and eggs.  Yum. 

RB

Those are some lovely buggers there.  They are both coming out quite nice there bud.  Yeah, those ventrals are alot more work with all those body partictions and mouth parts, but they look cool.  A big moma there. Sure look forward to seeing them all dressed up.

Ok, just over another 7 hours and things are looking purty good?  The dorsal one is really nice but I do wish the legs were better preserved.  The ventral one is really getting beatin up, but its one sticky crab for sure and making for one heck of a hard prep job!  I also made one h-ell of a mistake on one leg.  Dang!!!  But still, I dont  have a ventral Tumido, so for me, its gunna be real nice.  Still got a long ways to go. 

RB

2Crab001G.JPG

Another fascinating prep job. 

These are very interesting and delightful posts. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Ok, just over another 7 hours and things are looking purty good? 

You don't have to question yourself - just say it: they're looking pretty good!

It is good to have a ventral specimen to go alongside all those dorsals.

Thanks folks. Ive got about 3 more hours or so into this dorsal one ive been workiing on.  I do love doing the 'smoothing' out process.  Very relaxing for me.  Ive still got another prep session to finish this one, but its almost done.  The legs are not as nicely preserved as the carapace but thats just the way it goes with mother nature.  The Carapace is super pristeen which is super nice.  This will be one of my best Tumido's just because of the crapace!!!   Im in love with this one.  But then again, I love almost all these Tumido's that I prep out. 

RB

2Crab001H.JPG

Thanks guys.  I also posted this on Face Book and was asked if the dark color on the claws were real.  and yes, they are real, just the way mother nature made them.  Quite nice if you ask me.  Cant wait to get this one done. 

RB

Ive done a bunch of work on both these crabs, but no pictures for now. Got a ways to go.  But here's the thing, did I ever say that ventrals were tuff? !!!   This ventral job is taking forever but turning out purty dang nice!!!!  Ive got a few more prep sessions before I post any more photos.  This ventral is tuffer than cow poop!!!   I just keep digging deeper and finding more 'stuff'.  Thats my scientific term for crab parts.  Ha!!!   Not used to all the different crab parts!!!  

RB

Archived