Is this ammonite real?

Denny1st

Welcome to TFF!

Wonderful picture.

It would help if You take a picture of just the ammonite from straight on instead of an oblique angle.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

2mfhg5c.jpgthanks. Unfortunately I don't have better pics then these two and I currently have it all set up with decorative items on it so moving everything for a photo would be difficult. I'm sorry hope these two pics are good enough. 

Thanks for the additional picture.

It is common for the center of big ammonites to be crushed and the Moroccans will carve the matrix to make them look complete.

From Your pictures I can not tell if this one is carved or not.

Wait for others to reply.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

16 minutes ago, caterpillar said:

Sorry but completely fake. Carved from the ombilic to the mouth

How was this determined? I’m just curious as I thought it was real but I’m not very knowledgeable on ammonite fakes.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

The obvious tool marks between every pair of ribs strongly suggests the ribs have been carved, even on the outer whorl.  The shape of the ribs (too straight, too triangular in section as far as can be seen from the photos) is also suspicious.  There may have been a real ammonite there to start with, but if so it has been extensively and overly enhanced.

Don

2 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

The obvious tool marks between every pair of ribs strongly suggests the ribs have been carved, even on the outer whorl.  The shape of the ribs (too straight, too triangular in section as far as can be seen from the photos) is also suspicious.  There may have been a real ammonite there to start with, but if so it has been extensively and overly enhanced.

Don

Oh ok. Thanks for the info everyone. Much appreciated. 

There are a lot of these about. 

I would tend to agree with FossilDAWG, there was an ammonite there and the preppers have rather overdone it, carved into it what they think it should look like and what will sell, rather than actually expose whatever was really there in the first place. Most Moroccan ammonites from these locations have the centre overly carved even if the rest is real. The preppers just can't help themselves and it's what they're taught to do. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

16 minutes ago, Denny1st said:

Its all good. But would you guys say its worth the $100

Sorry you ammonite does look carved but it still a very nice art sculpture. It is taboo to ask for valuation on TFF.  But as a sculpture it would fantastic in your house or garden. 

We don't provide opinions about $ value here, as it is too subjective especially when dealing with photos (where it is easy to be fooled by a clever fake).  Ultimately value (what you are willing to pay) is dependent on the value (in terms of attractiveness, how it makes you feel when you look at it, etc) you place on the specimen.  If you know it is more art than actual fossil, yet you still like the look of it, it may well be worth $100 to you.  It may also be worth considering that a completely authentic, properly prepared ammonite of that size would certainly cost significantly more, so $100 for a passable specimen with some authentic bits may be a reasonable price for you.

Don

2 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

We don't provide opinions about $ value here, as it is too subjective especially when dealing with photos (where it is easy to be fooled by a clever fake).  Ultimately value (what you are willing to pay) is dependent on the value (in terms of attractiveness, how it makes you feel when you look at it, etc) you place on the specimen.  If you know it is more art than actual fossil, yet you still like the look of it, it may well be worth $100 to you.  It may also be worth considering that a completely authentic, properly prepared ammonite of that size would certainly cost significantly more, so $100 for a passable specimen with some authentic bits may be a reasonable price for you.

Don

Very good point Don. Thanks. It was worth it to me. :)

I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And the amount of beauty goes hand in hand with the amount of money of which the beholder is willing to pay for the beauty. :)

26 minutes ago, Denny1st said:

I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And the amount of beauty goes hand in hand with the amount of money of which the beholder is willing to pay for the beauty. :)

Nicely said! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

• 5 months later...

What about this one? Anyone have any idea if this is real or not?

From my own judgement, I'd say there appears to be some definite carving out near the center (that's not how the actual center of an ammonite looks), however, I'm not against a little touch-up work if the fossil itself is genuine.

I do not own this piece. I'm examining it. Thoughts?

s-l1600.jpg

21 minutes ago, TimH said:

From my own judgement, I'd say there appears to be some definite carving out near the center (that's not how the actual center of an ammonite looks), however, I'm not against a little touch-up work if the fossil itself is genuine.

This is real, it looks like a Mortoniceras from Texas. The outer portion is real and untouched but the inner 2-3 whorls are fabricated/carved.

24 minutes ago, TimH said:

Here is an example of one I found that I cut in half. Notice how it completely dissapears before it gets to the center, this is common

20180303_153616.jpg

Archived