Incredibly high quality Dino eggs

HamptonsDoc

Gone are the days when high quality dino eggs were freely sold at public auctions. I recently borrowed some catelogues from Bonhams, IM Chait and Heritage Auction that were 10-20 years old and was amazed by what was once available for sale! Here are a few eggsamples of pictures I took from the catelogues. 

Therizinosar Eggs with embryo exposed.

B53C5060-792E-4A3D-8097-8FF5ACF4013E.jpeg.7921958710de4add942fd6c650b6863f.jpeg

6ACB54DD-007B-4D27-84A5-917577B76188.jpeg.c3a6c511197b8c9b2013d66228a6635b.jpeg

Two examples of oviraptor nests with the remains of their mother guarding her young from whatever disaster took all of their lives.

051D295A-7AA8-45C5-B0C5-B0D7B99B6B97.jpeg.4d03a3bc33e83c48d203122a60c9039d.jpeg 

55B92F20-6700-41A9-8817-38E8E2BC2F20.thumb.jpeg.c9e8e881dea639a6de6ceadefcafda23.jpeg

A spectacular nest labeled Troodon formosus.

E35CE162-F208-4C03-8B26-9BCC2BF992EA.jpeg.9a5156d8d17d92273d6920200d60b9af.jpeg

A saltasaurus egg, one of the most prized dino eggs to collectors. 

5CDB5E8F-80E0-4906-B293-9911058190E5.jpeg.1b456c08ff77897235629ab1ab3d344a.jpeg

Large section of an oviraptor nest.

05590091-3212-4E85-BA28-00FAEF9AA882.jpeg.07c784e785ec5d4986e70023d0966938.jpeg

A nice example of a hadrosaur nest. 

ECCF6E27-5C44-4253-9E01-586FB923A8B7.thumb.jpeg.75cfecd92802aeb629b9be343ff5f442.jpeg

• I found this Informative 14

Lovely eggs and mothers! 

Though Troodon, of course, is no longer a valid genus, it would seem. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Curious, why is Saltasaurus so popular? Looks like an old cantaloupe.

I think some of those other ones look pretty nifty.

Correct- the Troodon nest now has a different label to it.  Most people think these are from protoceratops but I’m not sure if that’s been confirmed. I’m blanking on the oogenius and species name which is the true way to label dino eggs. 

The best saltasaurus eggs are perfectly spherical and 7” in diameter and very well preserved. Being from Argentina they’re are extremely rare to find on the market now. I think it’s the shape and difficulty in obtaining them that makes them so special. The cost is also pretty prohibitive when they do show up. Most dino eggs, even other sauropod eggs, won’t roll around on a table if they’re not on a stand like Saltasaurus and Titanosaur from South America. 

• I found this Informative 1

Beautiful eggs! I don't own even a single egg of this quality.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

7 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Those egg examples are awesome.  Wonder what the prices were back then?

Even back then you'd have to shell out quite a lot for these! :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thanks for posting very cool, nice memories.   For those that attended the Tucson show in the early 2000's my best memories included seeing room after room of Chinese dealers selling skeletons or eggs.   There was a dealer that sold only beautifully prepped  eggs, no missing shell, many different types, nests, oh to have him back today would have made you drool big time.   I've kept my early show guides and need to go through a few of them to see if they advertised.  Will post the adds if they did.

• I found this Informative 1

On 1/27/2018 at 9:06 PM, oldtimer said:

Wonder what the prices were back then?

If this violates TFF policy mods please delete this post!

I don’t know what they actually sold for.

All very expensive. The only one that seems to be a good price compared to today is the Saltasaurus egg which can go for 2-3x that.

17 hours ago, caldigger said:

Curious, why is Saltasaurus so popular? Looks like an old cantaloupe.

I think some of those other ones look pretty nifty.

What's wrong with cantaloupes?  Yum yum...

A Saltasaurus egg is the crown jewel, the holy grail of any collection.  Very rare, cool locality and just very different than other types.  Also one of the most expensive as a single egg that is only obtainable from old collections.

No adds in those old brochures but did see a few auction catalogs from 1998 with some of the pictures you posted.  Unbelievable eggs couple more not as nice.

5a6e2e5a3f1eb_20180128_130056(1).thumb.jpg.432addbe4ff417e609754e109695cfff.jpg

20180128_125950.thumb.jpg.2e207a672b7e60e8ff9fb6360ce92c73.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Sounds like even if @HamptonsDoc and/or @Troodon gave us the "friends and family" discount, these would still be cost prohibitive. :blink:

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

• 3 weeks later...

This is an embryo of Beibeilong sinensis, "baby dragon from china" from the late cretaceous from Henan Province in China.  Collected in 1993, the embryo was named Baby Louie and was featured on the cover of National Geographic Magazine.  Egg type is Macroelongatoolithus xixiaensis, around 18 inches long.  The full nest was 10 feet in diameter.

IMG_9602.thumb.JPG.58d9e10ff1ee47b5383107c0655f41b6.JPG

image_4848_2e-Beibeilong-sinensis.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

• 6 months later...
On 1/28/2018 at 3:11 PM, Troodon said:

20180128_125950.thumb.jpg.2e207a672b7e60e8ff9fb6360ce92c73.jpg

@Troodon Just looking back at these pictures... do you know if that is an American egg?  Based off the grey matrix I'd guess it is unless its a black and white photo!! :rofl:

I've never seen an American egg as inflated as that one if it is from the US, although it is missing a significant amount of shell...

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old post, but does anyone have any of those digitized old catalogs available in pdf or other format?
Do you know where they could be downloaded?

I find it very interesting information. Thanks.:thumbsu:

2 hours ago, Josesaurus rex said:

I know this is an old post, but does anyone have any of those digitized old catalogs available in pdf or other format?
Do you know where they could be downloaded?

I find it very interesting information. Thanks.:thumbsu:

I doubt the older ones were put in a pdf format.  You can search auctions houses and look for Natural History Auctions

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

I doubt the older ones were put in a pdf format.  You can search auctions houses and look for Natural History Auctions

Hi Troodon,

Right, those guides and brochures were created and printed for people at the shows.  You had to be there to pick one up.  I assume almost all of them ended up in a trash or recycling can.  Sometimes, I kept a guide in the box with specimens/publications I bought so they ended up coming home with me.  Like you, I still have a few of those somewhere.  I don't think TFF rules would allow us to post a pdf on the site as they are or contain dealer advertising.

Not that long ago, one of the dealers gave out bookmarks with images of (Green River?) fossils on them.  I sitll have a couple of those.

Jess

• I Agree 1

Oh, and yeah, there were lots of eggs for sale back in the late 90's.  In the late 80's to early 90's, at least one or two dealers had Late Cretaceous dinosaur eggs from a site in France.  Not long after that, the ones from China appeared in good numbers.  I saw very few of those Argentine eggs though you could buy pieces of eggshell too   I saw a couple of dealers at local shows reselling that.

18 hours ago, Troodon said:

@TroodonOk, well, I'll try to search online if there are any digitized or that sell one in physical format. Thank you 

16 hours ago, siteseer said:

Hi Troodon,

Right, those guides and brochures were created and printed for people at the shows.  You had to be there to pick one up.  I assume almost all of them ended up in a trash or recycling can.  Sometimes, I kept a guide in the box with specimens/publications I bought so they ended up coming home with me.  Like you, I still have a few of those somewhere.  I don't think TFF rules would allow us to post a pdf on the site as they are or contain dealer advertising.

Not that long ago, one of the dealers gave out bookmarks with images of (Green River?) fossils on them.  I sitll have a couple of those.

Jess

Hello @siteseer, I honestly do not think that any forum rule is inflicted, because they are very outdated prices from decades ago. 

It would be good, I think, if that information could be shared. 

I would like to know the opinion of the administrators on this issue, to know if it is possible to share old auction brochures, or not. :fingerscrossed:

If you @siteseerI had any of those old brochures, could I send some photos, even by private message, if it is not much trouble please? It is to get a better idea of what was offered in those times.

I would appreciate it very much, if that were the case. 

16 hours ago, siteseer said:

Oh, and yeah, there were lots of eggs for sale back in the late 90's.  In the late 80's to early 90's, at least one or two dealers had Late Cretaceous dinosaur eggs from a site in France.  Not long after that, the ones from China appeared in good numbers.  I saw very few of those Argentine eggs though you could buy pieces of eggshell too   I saw a couple of dealers at local shows reselling that.

I think so, it must have been a very good time to visit the fairs and be able to see and buy, as far as possible, really impressive items that you would normally see in museums, with pieces of excellent quality.:drool:

I recently bought a Sotheby's catalog from 2005 (I think) only of fossils and minerals, and it's amazing what was offered there, Ichthyosaurus, saber-toothed cats, even a juvenile Allosaurus, not completely complete, but specifying which parts were original and what other reconstruction. And I can't imagine what was available in the 80s and 90s. :Horrified:

3 hours ago, Josesaurus rex said:

I honestly do not think that any forum rule is inflicted, because they are very outdated prices from decades ago. 

It would be best if any sales brochures are shared via PM.  Thanks.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ