big brook finds today help please coprolite? others

brad hinkelman

1 minute ago, brad hinkelman said:

a dime is placed next to the pics and its big brook nj cretaceous stream

Missed the dime. Sorry.

2 looks like an orthocone nautilus.

3 looks like a crusher tooth from a shark (do not know which one).

Maybe @GeschWhat or @Carl will know about 1.

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, brad hinkelman said:

I think first is coprolite if anyone can confirm and any help on other 2

cop.jpg

I hope it doesn't float!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

If that is a spiral and it is indeed a coprolite, it’s a non-teleost fish (am I correct on this?) so either shark or ray (and a few other fish)

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

23 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

If that is a spiral and it is indeed a coprolite, it’s a non-teleost fish (am I correct on this?) so either shark or ray (and a few other fish)

If a coprolite is a spiral coprolite it can be from a shark or ray or a few bony fish.  However, I don't think the specimen in the original post is spiral.  It reminds me more of the two Eocene coprolites from Virginia circled in the picture below which have been tentatively identified as croc coprolies by researchers looking at a large number of coprolites from Virginia.  As far as the specimen in the original post, it is difficult to tell for sure from the single picture.  It would help to see into the broken end and to see the other side of the specimen.

5a6d3ad1caac9_CoprolitesMikeF.EoceneVA35mm-60mm.thumb.jpg.6dbd132d6f30af44978d18704516b9b3.jpg

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 4

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

7 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

If a coprolite is a spiral coprolite it can be from a shark or ray or a few bony fish.  However, I don't think the specimen in the original post is spiral.  It reminds me more of the two Eocene coprolites from Virginia circled in the picture below which have been tentatively identified as croc coprolies by researchers looking at a large number of coprolites from Virginia.  As far as the specimen in the original post, it is difficult to tell for sure from the single picture.  It would help to see into the broken end and to see the other side of the specimen.

Marco Sr.

Looks a pretty good match to me! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

9 hours ago, ynot said:

2 looks like an orthocone nautilus.

Paleos do show up there now and then. I can't explain the would be septa, but this looks more like the concretion found there than the eratics that I've seen though.

12 hours ago, ynot said:

c4.jpg

I know almost nothing about coprolites (did find a nice croc coprolite in Wyoming) but I find MANY cephalopods. So when I see the "coprolite" pictured, my mind goes to orthocone nautilus.  and with #2 being IDed as such, why not #1 as a possibility? I can ALMOST convince myself that I see a siphuncle.

9 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

I know almost nothing about coprolites (did find a nice croc coprolite in Wyoming) but I find MANY cephalopods. So when I see the "coprolite" pictured, my mind goes to orthocone nautilus.  and with #2 being IDed as such, why not #1 as a possibility? I can ALMOST convince myself that I see a siphuncle.

But how would you explain the other end ?

Just now, Rockwood said:

But how would you explain the other end ?

I can't. Just providing a different perspective on what is likely a coprolite. If Brad looks at the specimen closely though and there is a siphuncle, no need to explain the other end.

Seeing the new pictures, if a coprolite (the marine coprolites that I see are more rounded than flattened like this specimen), I would lean toward croc.  My broken croc coprolites are very irregular along the breaks and very rough inside just like this specimen.  My shark, ray, and bony fish coprolites have very even breaks and are really smooth inside.   However, I don't collect big brook and am not familiar at all with what the concretions look like or what else is found at the site (something like a lobster tail).  Someone like Steve @non-remanié would be a good person to get an opinion from.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

1 hour ago, minnbuckeye said:

If Brad looks at the specimen closely though and there is a siphuncle, no need to explain the other end.

In my mind that would all the more reason to defend the siphuncle ID by explaining it.

The first thing is a shark coprolite. I'm not sure on the second thing, but it might be some type of invertebrate. The third thing is a lobster (Hoploparia gabbi) arm segment.

• I found this Informative 2

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Brad, I know nothing about the area, and can't really help with ID, but just by googling "Big Brook fossils" I found this website. Looks pretty well-made and surely useful for your next IDs.

Max

1 hour ago, josephstrizhak said:

The third thing is a lobster (Hoploparia gabbi) arm segment.

How can you tell the species from such a small fragment? Just curious...

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Agree with all of the ID's but for number 2 - make sure that isn't metal. I picked up something that looked just like that, tinged it against a rock and it ended up being metal. That might or might not be the same one..

1. Is a spiral coprilite, so most likely shark. 3 is a crustacean claw.

2 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

Agree with all of the ID's but for number 2 - make sure that isn't metal. I picked up something that looked just like that, tinged it against a rock and it ended up being metal. That might or might not be the same one..

1. Is a spiral coprilite, so most likely shark. 3 is a crustacean claw.

a magnet doesn't stick to it and my metal detacter pin pointer doesn't sound off to it and I broke a piece of end off and seems to me geological like a mold or looks like iron so not sure.