kerrimarie805

I found these in the creek back in September, this is the only pic I took (just now happened upon it in my files) and I can't find them to retake pics. The largest rock, the black one in the right of the frame, is no bigger than 2" at it's widest measurement, if that helps. I'm just really curious about what would make these little bubble-like formations printed on a rock like this. Bubbles?

20180128_071536.thumb.jpg.d216ca724775b2419d91fa5c34e65dda.jpg

I think the marks are from algae that grows on the pebbles when they are on the surface, then gets washed or worn off when water levels change. You get a shadow of what was there and the bubbles are from air or oxygen bubbles created and trapped by the algae when they are alive.  

Those are really cool. Too bad you cant find em at the moment---love to see sharper images with a scale... If you didnt say they were on the surface of the rocks I'd be curious if there were some crazy large forams.  I love strange patterns. Nice!. 

Regards, Chris 

2 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Those are really cool. Too bad you cant find em at the moment---love to see sharper images with a scale... If you didnt say they were on the surface of the rocks I'd be curious if there were some crazy large forams.  I love strange patterns. Nice!. 

Regards, Chris 

I'm sure I'm going to Google it, but what are crazy large forams? I'm also sure they're surface markings, if I recall, I could barely feel anything as I ran my finger across. I'm also sure I'll be "tossing the hoard" today in hopes of finding them, which means I'll surely be back here with pics of something else and more questions!

Those rocks have really neat colors. They look like they have been dyed.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

13 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Those rocks have really neat colors. They look like they have been dyed.

I sometimes saturate the color when I edit photos, especially when it makes a detail easier to see for ID purposes here, but I only did the auto-adjust on my phone for this one and they were dry when I took the photo. Still can't find them, tho! 

Yep agreed there are some wild colors you have there.

John (Sacha) may be right on his assessment of what the patterns actually are and I'm out in left field again..but to add an answer for what a foram is ....Sorry its short for foraminifera...hoping one of the microfossil folks will chime in or you do google it. But they were/are critters in the animal kingdom that live/lived in water/ocean and had shells of all kinds of shapes and forms. Usually they are pretty small--microscopic, but during several episodes (particularly during the Carboniferous age) where they've evolved and gotten fairly large...you can see them in your hand and they are over 1 cm and some present day ones are even much larger.  Your shapes looked like polished cross sections thru their shells. 

So anyways your specimens may not be these guys at all and a simpler answer and more appropriate might be as John proposed. 

If you find them post some more clear pictures with a ruler/scale and see if you have a magnifying glass and can determine if they are only on the surface of the rocks or are a part of/actually embedded in the rock. 

Regards, Chris 

Archived