Peace river member trip

jcbshark

Yesterday a group of TFF members got together in Bowling Green Florida for a canoe and kayak trip down a section of Peace and to do a little hunting along the way. At 7 am I was greeted by quite a few folks I’ve had the chance to hunt with over the last few years. I generally do a lot more talking and less digging on these opportunities but was insistent on trying to pull a really nice piece out and knew I’d have to put in some real time hunting. Due to that, I didn’t get any “ in situ” shots of our fossil hunting brethren so you’ll just have to take my word for a that while it was a little cool in the water, we all spent a fair bit of time putting in some serious digging. No one pulled out a whole mammoth tooth but there were some decent Megs found and other odds and ends. Attached is a pic of my better finds. A decent Meg, a few hemis, chunk of mammoth tooth, deer antler with skull and some rare for me mayumbensis:D I would like to say thank you for all the folks that made it out yesterday, as always it was great to get out with you all. Feel free to throw up some pics if so inclined :) @Sacha @Grimlock@Calvin Jenkins @beachbum @megaholic@Cam28

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Ok, for some reason it won’t let me upload any pics. Let me try resetting my phone. 

Nice finds! Glad you got a chance to hunt with other members. Some day I got to get back and hunt the Peace again.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Nice finds! :)

It must be really nice to meet up with other TFF folks. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 hours ago, jcbshark said:

There we go....

NICE Meg Jeff,  They seem to be attracted to you. Sorry I once again missed connecting.  After 3 days , still dealing with a low grade Flu/stomach virus.  Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

We were sorry we missed you too Jack!  I was looking fwd to finally meeting.  Hope we can do this again, it was fun.  Thanks to @jcbshark for putting it together- (and carrying my canoe)!

"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life".

Thanks again Jeff for organizing the Hunt & canoe space while I might figure out my kayak /living situation in the weeks to come. 

Yep plenty of fun & solid finds even with it not being the grandest member hunt in terms of finds or turn-out. Maybe my first hunt seriously hitting 5 or 6+ different spots, some definitely providing more than others, but most of them provided at least a few keepers. Among those included my 2nd ever big snake vert, 2nd ever big gator tooth (discluding one with a long root/short crown). I'm just a shark tooth/Miocene junky & don't really mind not finding that elusive pristine meg, mastodon tooth, etc. just getting the chance to dig til I drop in a prime region does it for me. I'm still somewhat exhausted & the quality of these pics/ organizing the finds may reflect that lol. Oh & found my longest section of dugong rib yet + the gator tooth relatively early on, definitely helped take the pressure off/ enjoying most everything being gravy after that. & the comradery was nice, as usual

027 edited.jpg

026 edited.jpg

028 edited.jpg

• digit changed the title to Peace river member trip

I really wish I could have made it as well. On Monday I felt the creeping funk that I picked up in the airport last weekend set in. It's hard to travel during cold/flu season and stay healthy.

I tried to lay low (quite literally) all week long hydrated to the max and stuffed with decongestants and cough medicines to try to hold back the symptoms. I nearly worked through it by week's end but I was still rather weakened and the thought of a long day shoveling and sifting made me realize the best course was to sit this one out. Wasn't till this morning that I finally felt that I turned the corner and I'm hoping by next weekend to be in the pink and possibly ready to take on the Peace.

Really sorry to have missed you all as I really enjoy the social aspects of a good TFF hunting party. Next time for sure.

Hoping that someone took a moment's break to pull out a camera and take a few photos out on the river. Looking forward to seeing the rest of everybody's finds.

Cheers.

-Ken

Jeff and Cam28, great finds!! Too bad it never coincides with my visits to the Sunshine State. Would be exciting to join the group! Hope we see more from the other participants!

Thanks for putting the trip together Jeff. We had a good time hunting , enjoying the wildlife/scenery and the company of the other members. With this being the second time we canoed the Peace, I feel we did pretty good with the different spots we stopped at. After spending the day on the river and moving a ton of gravel, we came home with some nice finds. There's plenty of hemi's, tigers, a croc tooth, megs and frags. All in all a fun day and we're looking forward to doing it again. 

IMG_1521 a.JPG

I had a good time meeting some fellow fossilers I've never met before & rejoining some old friends.  It was a good learning experience to see (and try) different equipment and techniques.  Driving by the phosphate mine was quite an experience.  The photo of the dragline fails to convey the massive size of the machine or amount of sand they move.  Now if we could just get access in there to hunt!

20180127_John Jim.jpg

20180127_Paul Jeff.jpg

20180127_Fossils.jpg

Thanks for the comments folks and for the additional pics:)

Brrrr! Wetsuits and waders!

I think I made the correct decision to sit this one out. I was rounding the corner but not yet back up to full strength and I bet a day in that chilly river would have set my recovery back another week. Feeling a bit more in the pink today and hoping to make it out to see what the Peace has in store for me this weekend.

Cheers.

-Ken

Archived