Schnecken für Roger

Uncle Siphuncle

I woke up to 31F this morning...perfect kayaking conditions!  Actually, winds were light, making the big water of Lake Bridgeport smooth as glass, so I stayed pretty dry on my 6 hour paddle trip into the Pennsylvanian Period.

I canvassed a bunch of exposures above the waterline, and just as many below.  The disconcerting factor since last trip a year or 2 ago was the explosion of zebra mussels.  I don’t see a way of reversing this situation, and it hurts collecting more so than the onset of shoreline development.  When water is up, they take over.  And when it drops, forget about ever crawling for smalls again.  

All that said, I still found a ton of gastropods (for Roger Ludwigia’s entertainment), some horn corals, a few orthocone and coiled nautiloids, a couple nice goniatites, and one piece of pet wood.  No trilobites this round but I did score a couple cruziana traces.

More pics post prep.  The matrix associations will be especially attractive.

Figured below:  Worthenia, cruziana, Aviculopecten, ornate orthocone nautiloid (?), Glaphyrites, and the total haul.

@Ludwigia

32C5D3F0-78E7-4827-BA18-3DE2A788A0D3.jpeg

668F5376-4E10-48E4-9AD6-242046DC9B19.jpeg

BD20E1AB-CFEE-4A98-8936-B215F4F72FA5.jpeg

8F5F4345-E76C-410C-84F6-0BEA6323BCAF.jpeg

871C3A1C-298F-42DE-92B2-7DCBF7BCEA48.jpeg

42A5DED3-EA08-409F-89B8-DE774E7B6153.jpeg

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Nice haul! 

Thanks for sharing, the gastropods, cruziana and nautiloid are especially super. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Hey Dan, Nice to see the traces and gastros. thanks for the photos. Your definition of perfect kayaking conditions differs a bit from mine! 

Continued hunting success! 

Regards, Chris 

Nice finds! Those zebra mussels effect my fishing too!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

2 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Nice finds! Those zebra mussels effect my fishing too!

Bet you’ve cut off a few lunkers on those nasty things.

Grüße,

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice haul! 

Thanks for sharing, the gastropods, cruziana and nautiloid are especially super. 

The gastros there are a huge component of the fauna.  I found Worthenia, Trepospira, Meekospira, Straparollus, Pharkodontus, and maybe others today.  Most very well preserved too.

Grüße,

2 minutes ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

The gastros there are a huge component of the fauna.  I found Worthenia, Trepospira, Meekospira, Straparollus, Pharkodontus, and maybe others today.  Most very well preserved too.

Wow! 

Most excellent to find so many gastropod species, with good preservation and size from that age! 

Lovely! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Love that cruziana!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Great finds Dan. Nice that you were able to get out and explore despite the cool temps.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

6 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

:wub::drool::envy: but thanks for the nice surprise :)

Roger.  If you pay postage, I’d be happy to give you a sampling of Schnecken from this site.  Cost of a small box would get you loose specimens.  If you feel like splurging on postage, I’d send matrix pieces.  Prep is easy, usually a little scribe work on the margins plus a quick dolomite blast.  Just thought I’d throw it out there.

Grüße,

7 minutes ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Roger.  If you pay postage, I’d be happy to give you a sampling of Schnecken from this site.  Cost of a small box would get you loose specimens.  If you feel like splurging on postage, I’d send matrix pieces.  Prep is easy, usually a little scribe work on the margins plus a quick dolomite blast.  Just thought I’d throw it out there.

:yay-smiley-1: PM on the way! :)

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

49 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Were you able to find any sutures on this fossil? My first guess would have been a goniatite.

gon.jpeg

This was my prize for the day.  Hoping to make time to clean some things up this week.  Or not.  I blew off kitchen cabinet installation over the weekend to indulge in pure collecting hedonism.  The "work before play" adage went right out the window on my bachelor weekend.

Grüße,

Love the Worthenia, Aviculopecten, and orthoconic nautiloid (which looks so different from what I'm used to seeing around here - it almost looks like a conulariid, except it lacks the expansion at one end - beautiful!!!) - I think I'll add Texas to my to-visit list... :)

Did some scrubbing last night.  I’ll need to show some follow up pics post scribe and dolomite blast.  Some cool stuff involved, most notably the association pieces.  I was too busy 2 handed snaggin’ fossils to reach for my phone on that trip.

Grüße,

1 hour ago, jpc said:

6 hrs of kayaking... is that three hours to get there and three hours back?  

Good report, as usual, Dan.  

That in itself is a long story...

Grüße,

Nice finds!  I do like those Pennsylvannian gastropods, and you seem to have some really big ones there, at least compared to what I have collected in New Mexico.

On a different note, do you have to register kayaks in Texas?  I noticed the numbering and decal on the side of your kayak.

Don

1 hour ago, jpc said:

We got time....     : )

In short, I “pimped out” my kayak, and now I’m low ridin’ like a fossil thug.

Grüße,

15 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

In short, I “pimped out” my kayak, and now I’m low ridin’ like a fossil thug.

LOL

A 6 hour paddle in our parts would likely take you to another state (or open ocean)!

Nice finds, thanks for sharing.

Archived