Real Keichosaurus?

xDiamondX

I have come across a Keichosaurus from ebay... it does look quite good after trawling across the numerous threads that exist on this forum.

Can someone have a second look for me?

Thanks

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

If a good section of the skull is indeed tucked under the rock, it may be worthwhile to question why such a critical feature would have been left that way when so much detailed preparation work has been done to the rest of the specimen. I would find it odd that this is where the prep effort would suddenly stop.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Another possibility could be that they were over aggressive with the wire wheel, and what you are seeing is what is left of the skull. :( 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It looks better than most of them to me.  I agree with fossildude19, it looks like they may have accidentally ground the skull down too much.  It is still relatively attractive imho.

I quite like the look of this one.

I'm thinking (over-imaginatively) that the head got boshed, chewed or worn before fossilization. 

But probably the preppers did it. :) 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

7 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Another possibility could be that they were over aggressive with the wire wheel, and what you are seeing is what is left of the skull. :( 

I agree with over aggressive with the grinding wheel. Also it is a ventral prep and not much would be visible but the bottom of the mandibles anyway. They are very fragile and can be ground or blasted away in an instant. I can see an impression of the jaws and even a few teeth. I think no painting on this one as they surely would have started on the skull. A real keichousaurus with good toes, but indeed a bit much grinding overall. 

2 minutes ago, xDiamondX said:

I think this conclusion begs the question... how much is it worth? 

Sorry, but the Fossil Forum does not do appraisals.

The value of a fossil is greatly dependent on things that can not be determined from a picture.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 minute ago, ynot said:

Sorry, but the Fossil Forum does not do appraisals.

The value of a fossil is greatly dependent on things that can not be determined from a picture.

I got a bit excited there, sorry

I'll leave it at that

The seller says it is about 17cm long (outstretched) is this way too short for a real one? Or just not fully developed

6 minutes ago, xDiamondX said:

The seller says it is about 17cm long (outstretched) is this way too short for a real one? Or just not fully developed

They all started as really small babies.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

This Keichousaurus looks genuine to me, with no painting done.  The prepping was done in the usual way (i.e. mechanical grinding + acid washing) for hard slab, and thus the bones and head were eroded like this.  Note that the slab was broken into several pieces and glued together.  At 17cm long, it's a young adult, likely a female.  It's not a very good specimen but still better than many others offered for sale in online platform.

• I found this Informative 2

This is also a mechanically/acid prepped specimen (so the bones are usually eroded), slab seems to be intact.  The head shows more details as it's in a dorsally pressed position.  The slab is thin and so it's more prone to be breaking apart during transportation if not properly packaged.

That one looks great. 

Though i'd check closely to make sure that all the cracks run through the bone when they should , some seem to , but look at them all. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

There is no doubt that this second is infinitely better than the first ... In this dorsal position it is rarer, and I like it. Typical rock and mechanical preparation of Guizhou, China. Besides, I see veins of calcite running through the specimen in its entirety, and I did not notice anything that might be suspect. I'd buy him. It's a shame that part of the tail is missing, but still this is good-sized and a very respectable specimen in any collection!

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

27 minutes ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

There is no doubt that this second is infinitely better than the first ... In this dorsal position it is rarer, and I like it. Typical rock and mechanical preparation of Guizhou, China. Besides, I see veins of calcite running through the specimen in its entirety, and I did not notice anything that might be suspect. I'd buy him. It's a shame that part of the tail is missing, but still this is good-sized and a very respectable specimen in any collection!

This looks like a "her" to me.  The humerus of female tends to be more slender and shorter than that of male, with unpronounced ends both proximally and distally.

9 minutes ago, Crazyhen said:

This looks like a "her" to me.  The humerus of female tends to be more slender and shorter than that of male, with unpronounced ends both proximally and distally.

I know it ;), but still thank, I'm from Argentina and my English is terrible! Sorry my friend @Crazyhen! :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG