Is this a fossil? tooth or claw?

Zesus

hey guys, I'm back and probably don't have a fossil again haha but one of these days I will!  I was wondering if anyone could help me ID this.  I have found many rocks that are a similar shape to this.  it tends to be difficult for me to tell from online pictures/descriptions, mostly because I’ll see shale and be certain its shale, but then I’ll see a picture of basalt, a random dark colored limestone rock, piece of chert, or even a fossil sloth claw  or fossil tooth and then just have no idea because it could be any of the five depending on what photo I’m looking at haha. This is actually a very common problem I am having when trying to identify many different rocks (or possibly fossils) as my interest in fossils, rocks, minerals, and geology has recently grown. Also if anyone has any recommendations for a good intro book on fossils or rocks/minerals I’d love to hear them!! Maybe something more informative/technical than average kids book but not too academic/jargon-heavy/scientific/dry like a research paper would be awesome!  Sorry about the link, imgur doesn't limit my upload size and my new iPhones pictures are massive so I have to resize to less than 50% in order to attach here. hope that's ok. there are 3 different rocks in the album, they are labeled.

Menlo Park, CA   according to the USGS survey of the bay area, I live in the Holocene alluvial section, bordering the Pleistocene alluvial section if that helps at all?  found doing yard/landscaping work.  its about 5 inches long but that's not exact, I can measure if needed.

thanks in advance for any help and input!!

https://imgur.com/a/IplRv

Interesting shapes, but they look like plain old rock to me. I don't see anything that would indicate tooth or bone. Sorry I can't recommend an appropriate book, since I do most of my studying in German, having caught the bug over here.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Congratulations, you're the proud owner of a rock.

First you must understand the definition of alluvial till.  It is rock and associated debris that is brought down from the surrounding mountains from runoff streams. 

Sorry, I'm just seeing a rock here.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

thanks for the speedy replies guys! Yeah, i figured it was a rock. Any idea what kind by chance?  I'm starting to find a lot of chert, specifically on the one side of the yard. 

Yes the shape is what gets me. I can't seem to escape it.  I keep finding all types of rocks that have a broader base and narrow down to a point. Or maybe they are all just types of chert actually. Is there a reason why chert could take this shape specifically? Many even seem to curve down to a point, gastropod shell-esque.  https://imgur.com/ZYL8puL  like this for example.

and Yeah, that was my understanding of an alluvium.  So assorted fossils bones can't get brought down as well? Like a random tooth? Do they move differently than rocks in runoff streams? 

@Zesus

As some of our members do not wish to navigate to off-site services, could you post your images directly here? We do not encourage members to post links to third-party sites as they have a habit of going stale or dead, which then reduces the value of these posts for future visitors. ;) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

8 hours ago, Zesus said:

hey guys, I'm back and probably don't have a fossil again haha but one of these days I will!  I was wondering if anyone could help me ID this.  I have found many rocks that are a similar shape to this.  it tends to be difficult for me to tell from online pictures/descriptions, mostly because I’ll see shale and be certain its shale, but then I’ll see a picture of basalt, a random dark colored limestone rock, piece of chert, or even a fossil sloth claw  or fossil tooth and then just have no idea because it could be any of the five depending on what photo I’m looking at haha. This is actually a very common problem I am having when trying to identify many different rocks (or possibly fossils) as my interest in fossils, rocks, minerals, and geology has recently grown. Also if anyone has any recommendations for a good intro book on fossils or rocks/minerals I’d love to hear them!! Maybe something more informative/technical than average kids book but not too academic/jargon-heavy/scientific/dry like a research paper would be awesome!  Sorry about the link, imgur doesn't limit my upload size and my new iPhones pictures are massive so I have to resize to less than 50% in order to attach here. hope that's ok. there are 3 different rocks in the album, they are labeled.

Menlo Park, CA   according to the USGS survey of the bay area, I live in the Holocene alluvial section, bordering the Pleistocene alluvial section if that helps at all?  found doing yard/landscaping work.  its about 5 inches long but that's not exact, I can measure if needed.

thanks in advance for any help and input!!

https://imgur.com/a/IplRv

Looks Geological. Nice rock! :hammer01:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

@Zesus I’m seeing metamorphic rocks like schist with some quartz veins I believe. Mica is what’s making some parts shiny. These were probably brought with the river.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

@kane yes will do, I thought it might be a problem, just wish my phone could take smaller photos so I that I wouldn't have to import to my computer first and then resize them all then post. technology...

Here are some photos of the original rock that I thought might be a tooth or claw.   It seems that there is an outer shell to it? and that inside is white? or is this just some mineral filling in the cracks and holes?

Also!!! I think I found something today!!! If this doesn't come from an animal I give up haha. I'll post the photos after I post the original rock ones.  

Heres what I found today. had to take an old toothbrush and hose to it as my land turns pure black mud/clay when it rains and there was also sand in it. . These are teeth correct?  I had to scrape some stuff off the teeth to show their shape. Almost like they're barnacles attached to it or something.

IMG_1394.thumb.jpg.d0a5dc12a1b085e071d34287ebd5fa9b.jpgIMG_1396.thumb.jpg.d1ec66cc169d521d551e6a7d90156885.jpgIMG_1395.thumb.jpg.8b421d8a68cdb94fed7e4f150aa2b7d2.jpgIMG_1393.thumb.jpg.d6c4222a8bf476454ce8c8cbd4897585.jpg

1 hour ago, Zesus said:

really appreciate it and I understand it might be annoying to take the time to reply to someone who knows nothing about fossils, or rocks for that matter. 

Nonsense! We are here to share and gain knowledge (and I secretly have no idea what I’m doing:ninja::P)

that rock you just posted may turn out to be concrete btw.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

Nonsense! We are here to share and gain knowledge (and I secretly have no idea what I’m doing:ninja::P)

Don't tell him that...its our secret!!!!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

10 hours ago, Zesus said:

also, thank you @caldigger@Ludwigia @WhodamanHD and @MeargleSchmeargl for taking the time to reply earlier! I really appreciate it and I understand it might be annoying to take the time to reply to someone who knows nothing about fossils, or rocks for that matter. 

You're welcome. Interesting rocks, although I think that Whodaman may be right about the concrete. No fossil so far at any rate.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

11 hours ago, Zesus said:

These are teeth correct? 

Sorry, but no they are not teeth.

This piece looks like a conglomerate. That is when small rocks are held together with a lithified sand and mud mix. Cement is a man made conglomerate.

Teeth should have a smooth (usually looks polished) surface, where they were covered with enamel. They can have many shapes, but are rarely square.

When You are hunting fossils - the fine details and textures are important. You have to look beyond the apparent shape.

Please take some time to look at the fossils displayed on this forum. Look at the symmetry and patterns within the objects. This should help You to better identify possible fossils.

If You are looking in an alluvial deposit (river / creek gravels) there is little chance of fossils. The conditions that laid down the gravels are not conducive to fossil preservation. There are some rare exceptions, and sometimes the rocks brought into the deposit will have fossils in them.

Good luck on the hunt!

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thanks for the replies guys!  The thing is I'm not really looking for fossils per se. I'm more just doing yard work and have come across interesting rocks that I wanted a second opinion about. I'm digging a lot of dirt and when I see something that sparks my curiosity, I put it inside and at the end of the day wash it off and see what it looks like. I'm not just going into my backyard and searching for fossils.  Although to be honest, now I'm very determined haha

also, is this fossiliferous sandstone?

thank you again for taking the time to respond to me!!!

IMG_1420.thumb.jpg.1efad520975f5099f5036828214f4555.jpg

IMG_1417.thumb.jpg.b9e004d3920af31265f25e8f0415b8de.jpg IMG_1413.thumb.jpg.512b6fa2d0b7c5ae7134b9d3769ebac5.jpg  

IMG_1412.thumb.jpg.df073beffa95a0afab0e5b923c790266.jpg

Also if anyone could tell me how this rock got its shape id greatly appreciate it! I know maybe a little off fossil topic.. just curious how it got its button rounded dome shape

IMG_1424.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg

IMG_1426.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1430.jpg

It might have a resemblance with an eroded echinoid fragment, but the details in your picture are not clearly visible.

Can you post a high-res image of the area mentioned, to be sure? :)

IMG_1417.jpg.997de58d15b67e87da62b3e91b82a3d8.jpg.ea13ab4af58cd564154901005bb74b0d.jpgFigure2.jpg.e2e5dc4907afb95ff58245670b035161.jpg

comparative image from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

yes surely!! my phone is the only camera I have unfortunately but I hope one of these is better! I was also able to move some of the limestone or sand or whatever it is away so I hope that helps too!IMG_1461.thumb.jpg.8b2f399a59629fe36f7708e57ff84a0b.jpg

IMG_1462.jpg