Cen Tex, Kids, Grands, Fossils

thair

Yesterday it was a nice winter day here in Brown County TX, 30 degree in the morning up to 70 by early afternoon. Took the kids out for a while to a friends ranch for a little fossil and artifact hunting and some rock throwing. Found a few interesting pieces and a couple artifacts. One decent point and a "hoe" digging tool (probably) based on the usage chips on the wide edge. Also my son found a neat bryozoan ball and a brachiopod that has lolophores preserved and showing. Crinoid calix. Red stone is Fuslinids and worm tubes. And I keep a couple of horn corals that had defined growth rings just because the looked neat.

1-29-18IMG_1280.jpg.cee27a771747233f70352805414e5237.jpg

1-29-18IMG_1262.jpg

1-29-18IMG_1264.jpg

1-29-18IMG_1265.jpg

1-29-18IMG_1266.jpg

1-29-18IMG_1268.jpg

1-29-18IMG_1270.jpg

1-29-18IMG_1271.jpg

1-29-18IMG_1272.jpg

1-29-18IMG_1273.jpg

1-29-18IMG_1274.jpg

1-29-18IMG_1275.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

If only LA had openly accessable fossil sites like Texas....

Amazing finds!

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Sorry did not notate that this is all Pennsylvanian but I will have to check my map for the formation. The horn corals are very common in this area and some of the ranch roads are paved with them,

FossilRoad3-9-15.jpg

FossilRoad3-9-15a.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Large partial brachiopod is probably a Neospirifer.

The large coral is Caninia sp. which formed thickets and are commonly found in the Home Creek Limestone near Lake Brownwood. I have seen many in the area that were used as base underneath paved highways in the area. See "Color Guide to Pennsylvanian Fossils of North Texas" by McKinzie and McLeod for more info on all of these fossils.

Nice fossils.

• I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Great finds and time well spent with your kids! It doesnt get better than that. Congratulations! 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

7 hours ago, thair said:

Sorry did not notate that this is all Pennsylvanian but I will have to check my map for the formation. The horn corals are very common in this area and some of the ranch roads are paved with them,

:faint:

Holy Schneikies, I love that brachiopod with the preserved brachidium!  I have yet to find one of those!:envy:

Wow - paving roads will fossils - what a dream-come-true!!! :wub:

And I also love that "open" brachiopod - it's amazing!!! :drool:

Thanks for sharing!

Monica