HoppeHunting

After a successful second trip to Brownie's Beach a.k.a. Bayfront Park, I thought I'd head out there again. This time I chose to go alone, and I got up extra early to get there as soon as the park opened. I ended up doing just that; it was just becoming visible as I pulled into the gravel lot. I was the first person to arrive, which I've never been before, so waking up early was totally worth it. When it comes to fossil hunting at popular locations, "the early bird gets the worm." Once there was enough visibility outside, I slipped on my boots and made my way down the trail to the beach. As soon as I saw the Bay, I had to drop all my gear and snap a few pictures. The horizon was absolutely stunning. The sun was about to begin rising, and when it did, I got an even prettier spectacle. Brownie's Beach has got to be among the most scenic fossil sites out there. Every time I get to marvel at the beauty of nature. 

After I got a good look at the beautiful sunrise, I took advantage of arriving early and made my way South towards the cliffs. Sure enough, some of the best finds wash up over night and are simply laying on the surface, waiting for the first hunter to snatch them up. Within the first ten or twenty minutes of searching, I found a lovely Mako. As the sun took its place higher in the sky, more hunters began to show up, and a few eager ones passed me along the cliffs. They were moving really fast to be finding much, but maybe they were just trying to get to the end first. I continued to get some decent finds, and eventually made it all the way to private property sign. Technically, you could legally cross this by walking beneath the high tide line, but it was pretty far from the entrance so I decided it'd be a good point to turn around. The cliffs were very unstable that day, most likely due to the fact that the beach had been frozen over recently and was thawing out. Most of what fell while I was there was just small bits of sediment, but there was one time that really startled me. It wasn't a huge fall, but bigger than most and pretty loud. Luckily, although it was parallel to me, I wasn't close to the cliffs. Anyway, I made my way back towards the entrance and kept looking.

As the day went on, more and more people showed up. It was a really nice day for January, so people were out enjoying the weather. I tried sifting for a bit and didn't find too much as usual, but I did grab a few Sand Tigers that for some reason I hadn't found any of while surface hunting. I ran into a lot of fellow hunters, and got to share my finds with them as well as see theirs. There was a woman who was primarily searching in the cliffs, as dangerous as that can be, and managed to find a Mako that looked quite similar to mine. She told me about how she once found a massive whale vert, and showed me pictures. While doing another scan on the cliffs, I found a really nice Hemi with some killer serrations. It was not, however, the legendary Hemipristine.

I haven't quite explained this yet, so I'll go ahead and do it now: I am on the lookout for the fabled "Hemipristine", a massive and perfectly intact Hemipristis tooth with big, sharp serrations, and awesome colors. One day I will find it. One day.

Shortly after finding my Hemi, I ran into a man and his son and showed it to them. The man then showed me two huge and perfect Hemis, which he apparently had just found ahead of me. I was beyond frustrated, but tried to hide it. I'm sure many of you know that feeling when you were so close to a perfect find but it got snatched up by another hunter. My first time experiencing that. Near the end of the day I met @eannis6 with his water bottle full of teeth. We shared some of our finds; I showed him my strange lower Hemi and he showed me a Cow Shark tooth that looked just like the one I had just found. It was great talking to him, he's a real nice guy! In my last few hours of hunting, I walked beneath the cliffs some more, all the way to the sign. I started heading back as the sun was setting. I passed a few cliff falls that had their bases worn down from the waves, and they looked like mushrooms! I posted a picture below. Something else unusual I saw was a bright blue snake skin. As the tide was coming in, the waves became more violent, and it was washing up more gravel and searching material. Because of this, I got some good finds on the way back to the entrance including a few nice Tigers. Hunters left the park as some other people were just arriving for some pictures at sunset, including a man and his pregnant wife who had a professional photographer. Brownie's really is the place for a nice picture! The sunset wasn't quite visible because the sun rises over the Bay but doesn't set over it, but the colors in the sky were still very pretty. 

I found some really nice Tigers, which I'll really never get tired of. The Sand Tigers weren't quite as abundant this go around, but I still got a couple sweet ones. This was my best trip for Hemis so far, as I got my biggest upper yet (at least I think it's an upper) and two slightly damaged but really cool lowers that have serrations. I snatched up a few nice Chesapectan and somewhat complete Turritella shells. I have those big molds from Purse, but I'm yet to find actual shells of the same caliber. I found two Makos, both slender and pretty cool. Just as I got my first upper Cow last trip to Brownie's, this time I got my first lower! I got one porpoise/dolphin tooth, and two broken shark verts. Other than that, I found some usual small ones like Lemons and Grays, but also a couple less common ones like some Hammerheads. And finally, I found some ray plates as always, but this time I found what is by far my biggest yet! Lots of finds, and really nice ones too! Apparently, two people found 3 inch Megs that day, some more proof that Brownie's has got them! I'd love to be the one to find one of them eventually.

Overall, it was a fantastic trip. Getting to the park early really paid off, and I'll definitely try and do the same in the future. I got to meet a lot of great people, and have a successful day out on the beach! I think I'll plan on heading out down south next, either to try out Westmoreland for the first time or maybe hit Stratford again. I hope you all enjoyed my report and my finds, and as always, Hoppe hunting!

IMG_4924.JPG

IMG_4927.jpg

IMG_4936.JPG

IMG_4947.JPG

IMG_4966.jpg

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

The Hop 5:

1. Isurus desori:  This was my first good find of the day. It’s in really good condition and has a pretty cloudy coloring on the crown. It’s a bit unusual because it’s slanted, which isn’t typical. Great tooth.

2. Hemipristis serraI love the colors of this tooth. The light root contrasts the dark crown. It has really nice serrations, but I’m not entirely sure if it’s upper or lower, because the root protrudes like it does on a lower, but it’s triangular and serrated like an upper. Thoughts?

3. Notorhynchus primigenius: My second Cow Shark tooth, but first lower. It has most of its root, and four or five “mini teeth” on it. Would’ve been great if it was complete, but a good find nonetheless. 

4. Hemipristis serra:  This tooth is bizarre. I actually found another just like it that was whiter in color, but this one was in better condition. I believe it’s a lower, but it has “sideburn” serrations. Probably something to do with jaw placement. It also has almost identical colors to the previous Hemi. Possible association?

5. Aetobatis sp.: This is my biggest ray plate yet. I found it sitting on the sandbank near the entrance. Pretty much all of the plates I’ve ever found have been black or a very dark brown, but this one is a light yellowish tan. 

IMG_5123.JPG

IMG_5124.JPG

IMG_5141.JPG

IMG_5125.JPG

IMG_5172.JPG

~Hoppe hunting!~

Cool finds and it was so neat running into you! I’ve wanted to run into another fossil forum member! I found a hemi of the same beautiful colors. I too have been searching for a “hemipristine” only found one perfect lower so far. Also- the little meg in my avatar is from brownies!!!

3 minutes ago, eannis6 said:

Cool finds and it was so neat running into you! I’ve wanted to run into another fossil forum member! I found a hemi of the same beautiful colors. I too have been searching for a “hemipristine” only found one perfect lower so far. Also- the little meg in my avatar is from brownies!!!

That's awesome! I still can't wait for my first Meg. I feel like out of the sites in the area, Brownie's could very well be the one to gift me a megatooth. Best of luck to you in your future expeditions. I'm sure we'll both eventually come across a Hemipristine. Hoppe hunting!

~Hoppe hunting!~

1 minute ago, HoppeFossilHunting said:

That's awesome! I still can't wait for my first Meg. I feel like out of the sites in the area, Brownie's could very well be the one to gift me a megatooth. Best of luck to you in your future expeditions. I'm sure we'll both eventually come across a Hemipristine. Hoppe hunting!

Hey thanks very much! I hear s two guys found a couple large ones while we were there! From what I here finding the big megs requires time and being one of the first there. I’m sure if we keep at it, we will find some things. Do you live by Brownies???

2 minutes ago, eannis6 said:

Hey thanks very much! I hear s two guys found a couple large ones while we were there! From what I here finding the big megs requires time and being one of the first there. I’m sure if we keep at it, we will find some things. Do you live by Brownies???

Yeah, I heard that as well! Initially forgot to mention it in the report, so I just edited it in. Thanks. And I'm about a little over an hour away from the park, on the other side of the Potomac, in VA.

~Hoppe hunting!~

The pristine hemis are out there; I’ve got one white (which is kinda wierd) hemi from Brownies. Those megs are hard to come by  in such a heavily hunted area. I always here of plum point being amazing for megs, hut It requires a boat to access it. Anyway, nice finds! Getting there early seems to be a real advantage.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I'm still waiting to bump into some people from the forum on the beach I guess im gonna have to wander up to Brownies more often that seems to be where most of the forum seems to hang out. Great report and finds hope to bump into you guys one day 

2 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

The pristine hemis are out there; I’ve got one white (which is kinda wierd) hemi from Brownies. Those megs are hard to come by  in such a heavily hunted area. I always here of plum point being amazing for megs, hut It requires a boat to access it. Anyway, nice finds! Getting there early seems to be a real advantage.

Where do you have to go to access plum point- I’m interested in riding out there for a day.

So this is what is meant by a day at the beach, sunrise to sunset. Way cool teeth. Just think of how many have yet to be eroded out of that cliff face. Keep on hunting....

4 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Getting there early seems to be a real advantage.

Both in finds and scenic beauty. Thanks for the post.

Hi,

Your 1st Hemipristis serra is a upper one ! lower ones are much thin and haven't this shape.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

8 hours ago, eannis6 said:

Where do you have to go to access plum point- I’m interested in riding out there for a day.

PM sent. :D

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

18 hours ago, paxhunter said:

I'm still waiting to bump into some people from the forum on the beach I guess im gonna have to wander up to Brownies more often that seems to be where most of the forum seems to hang out. Great report and finds hope to bump into you guys one day 

Or, do what the @Boneheadz clan does. Wear t-shirts or sweatshirts with your TFF screen name and image of your avatar on the front. I've found them 2 years in a row at the Aurora Fossil Festival because of those shirts.

Edited: To include a photo example of the Boneheadz clan modeling their t-shirts with TFF screen name and avatar on front. (Boneheadz on right, Ian - Boneheadz Jr in back, and the lovely Boneheadz daughter on left.)  Doesn't get much easier to recognize fellow TFF members. :dinothumb: to Boneheadz & Ian for creativity.

20170526_161004.jpg.39edee0a6435f42c5b68ce072739e01d.jpg

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Nice Teeth Man! And thanks @SailingAlongToo for the shout out! Boneheadz will be back on the scene soon! We currently have another Bonehead on the way so we've been a little busy with that.

Archived