What Am I?

BobC

Hey guys

I found these cool guys out in Killeen in a bunch of shale, where I also found lots of spiny urchins, heart urchins, crab legs, tiny Salenias, and all the usual stuff. I have no clue what these guys are. Can any of you Uber Hunters Id them for me?

post-1290-1249495208_thumb.jpg

They came out of this stuff. Can anybody tell me what formation this is? I am trying to learn how to ID formations now.

post-1290-1249495435_thumb.jpg

post-1290-1249495470_thumb.jpg

Hey guys

I found these cool guys out in Killeen in a bunch of shale, where I also found lots of spiny urchins, heart urchins, crab legs, tiny Salenias, and all the usual stuff. I have no clue what these guys are. Can any of you Uber Hunters Id them for me?

looks like pinna sp to me bob :D

Andy is right, Bob. That's a type of bivalve that has modern relatives. There's one in Finsley's book. You've found some cross-sectional fragments.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

what's a pinna sp? Never heard of it

THIS IS WHAT IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE :rolleyes:

THIS IS A RECENT PINNA FROM FLORIDA....

post-473-1249496647_thumb.jpg

I agree parts of pinna clams. We find them in the Pierre and Cody shale in Wyoming.

post-1148-1249496754_thumb.jpg

hmmm--so are they pretty common around here?

NEVER MIND THE PINNA BOB LETS SEE SOME PICS OF THOSE ECHIS YA FOUND 2 :drool:

BobC.... you could do the 'Pinna Challenge' and try and find all the bits to make a full one... ;)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Terry--I honestly thought these were pieces of a long branch or something. A clam never crossed my mind!

I thought everybody would be bored with my stupid echinoids at this point but I will post the pics of what I found if you want me to. I'll put them on this thread so as to not waste a new thread.

hey can anybody tell me what that formation is?

Ashy--you all have me convinced. Identity solved. Thanks to everybody fo' tha halp.

By the way I went to onion creek the other day and found something I never found before. It looks like one of the usual worm tunnel casts, except it appears to be made of pure iron--it is extremely heavy for it's size. I'll take a pic. I think it's just some sort of iron deposit but I've never found anything like it before.

Terry--I honestly thought these were pieces of a long branch or something. A clam never crossed my mind!

I thought everybody would be bored with my stupid echinoids at this point but I will post the pics of what I found if you want me to. I'll put them on this thread so as to not waste a new thread.

hey can anybody tell me what that formation is?

nothin wrong with stupid echinoids bob but if you got crab legs i would like to 2 see them 2 :wacko:

Can never have too many regular echs, I always say........

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

nothin wrong with stupid echinoids bob but if you got crab legs i would like to 2 see them 2 :wacko:
Echnoids are the BEST! Don't be saying there stupid! LOL JK

andy, the last time Bob saw crab legs he was unabashedly eating them. :drool:

Bob, it looks like you were in the lower Walnut formation; not sure which member.

This guy is cool. This is a shot of the front and back of the same urchin--spines on the front, and a second echinoid is growing out of the other side. It is either just two echinoids fossilized doing something "unnatural," or it's just a tacky coincidence

post-1290-1249501816_thumb.jpg

Dan and Criny--you're right! I can't get enough of them!!!

I can't find the frikkin crab leg---it was tiny. And John--that is exactly how I knew it was a crab leg, I recognized it from what I gobbled down that night! I will try to find that little guy.

DAN--I need your help with a possible Pleistocene camel (a guess on Tim Rowe's part)skeleton. Most of it has already been washed away so if we are going to rescue what's left we have to do it soon.

And this is the really heavy, possibly iron thingee I found amongst devils toenails in Onion Creek. Any idea what it is?

post-1290-1249502459_thumb.jpg

Looks like hematite...it's common in that area.

What am I? That was the question of your post.

Well....I'm not sure. You should dig that camel out of the creek and see if it has some b*lls. Maybe you could borrow them. ;)

Hey guys

Andy is right, Bob. That's a type of bivalve that has modern relatives. There's one in Finsley's book. You've found some cross-sectional fragments.

What you have there, Bob, is broken! :P I was going to say a type of rudist because I found a couple of those earlier this year near that area and that is what a "rudist guy" ID'ed them as. I can see the possibility of them being pinna sp., but they look different than others I have seen and found. They seem too square and too "round" to me. I will have to pull out Finsley's book tonight and also consult the rudist guy again and re-evaluate the ID I got.

I believe that Killeen is in the Walnut Formation. That looks like Walnut stuff.