Mosasaur Skull/Mosasaur Jaw ID

TyrannosaurusRex

I was able to attend the Tucson show over the weekend, and as always, found some goodies I could afford. 

Both of these are from Morocco, and both are still quite a mess, unfortunately. The partial skull has had some filling on the teeth, but I know that's usually the standard procedure before selling, and I understand that. I'd love to have both of them prepared and have an identification tag for them if possible. I know they can be notoriously difficult to identify at times, but I thought it'd be worth a try!IMG_0530_1_20.jpg.9875b25e0f8615e6f795ac05c736927b.jpg

IMG_0531_20.thumb.jpg.16496cce34af803294f7578b2b884d28.jpg

IMG_0537_20.jpg.f380a15b0b3c87168eec07ff05526cce.jpg

IMG_0533_20.jpg.dcc7dc22a9e0ad2bdaf2341e956b4a46.jpg

Edited by TyrannosaurusRex
Sorry, new laptop posted before I had finished adding photos, my apologies.
  • I found this Informative 2

I don't see any pictures, maybe an issue with he uploading? :headscratch:

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

2 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

I don't see any pictures, maybe an issue with he uploading? :headscratch:

Yep, new laptop decided it had a mind of its own.

1 hour ago, TyrannosaurusRex said:

IMG_0530_1_20.jpg.9875b25e0f8615e6f795ac05c736927b.jpg

IMG_0537_20.jpg.f380a15b0b3c87168eec07ff05526cce.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen scissors used as scale before. Nice dentures!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

@LordTrilobite could probably ID them. Nice jaws!:dinothumb:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

That first one is quite interesting. At first I was thinking Prognathodon sp., but with the teeth being still fairly slender and having some faceting on the enamel, there's a chance it's Mosasaurus beaugei. I'm not quite sure though. Looks like lower left and right jaws. You say there is some tampering with the teeth? I'm curious to know which teeth belong to the jaws because if there are some that are composited in there might be a mix of Prognathodon and Mosasaurus teeth. Some preparation will likely help with ID.

The second one is definitely "Platecarpus" ptychodon. Those teeth are unmistakable. I assume those two pieces belong together? If so you've got what looks like a complete lower left jaw.

P. ptychodon tooth from my collection for reference.

Both very cool pieces. Nice pickup.

• I found this Informative 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

1 hour ago, LordTrilobite said:

That first one is quite interesting. At first I was thinking Prognathodon sp., but with the teeth being still fairly slender and having some faceting on the enamel, there's a chance it's Mosasaurus beaugei. I'm not quite sure though. Looks like lower left and right jaws. You say there is some tampering with the teeth? I'm curious to know which teeth belong to the jaws because if there are some that are composited in there might be a mix of Prognathodon and Mosasaurus teeth. Some preparation will likely help with ID.

The second one is definitely "Platecarpus" ptychodon. Those teeth are unmistakable. I assume those two pieces belong together? If so you've got what looks like a complete lower left jaw.

P. ptychodon tooth from my collection for reference.

Both very cool pieces. Nice pickup.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. The teeth are original, as there are a few visible buried under portions of the jaw that couldn't have been placed by whoever filled the roots. 

I am hoping to have it sent to be prepared and restored to its full glory, but that will take some time. 

Funny thing is that the Platecarpus jaw was a bonus to a giant tub of Kem-Kem bones. The man threw it in for free. The bones are a complete and total mess, but I will be cleaning them and posting them later. The pieces do go together, I haven't repaired it yet however.