Ken kem Id help part 3

Haravex

Ok there are a few i am going to post some are what might be chunkosaurus but odd shape enough to be giving clues, but the first one is a caudal vert which I was fairly confident was croc until I seen the attached image so I decided I would post the vert for a second opinion. If nothing else it can be added to the kem kem vert thread to help others.

Majungasaurus_holotype.jpg

Croc1.jpg

croc2.jpg

6 hours ago, Haravex said:

Ok there are a few i am going to post some are what might be chunkosaurus but odd shape enough to be giving clues, but the first one is a caudal vert which I was fairly confident was croc until I seen the attached image so I decided I would post the vert for a second opinion. If nothing else it can be added to the kem kem vert thread to help others.

Majungasaurus_holotype.jpg

Croc1.jpg

croc2.jpg

It looks a bit like a Kemkemia caudal vert. It might be another species but I think it's croc.

Thanks I will wait for LT and Troodon but I also thought Kemkemia but just wanted to be sure.

I agree, croc caudal vert from the end of the tail. I'm not sure how crocs differ in their tails though. So I woulnd't put a genus name on it.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Agree Croc but there are so many species in the Kem Kem not sure you can assign it to any one.  I do not think it compares well with Kemkemia holotype,  the neural spine area is very different, and more robust, might be positional but not one you can compare against.    Looks more like the modern one Doushanto posted or like one from the Hell Creek Fm see below.  Just a typical design that has not changed very much.

Kemkemia

Screenshot_20180406-040031.thumb.jpg.19074abed59d66eb5527137966c09f32.jpg

Hell Creek Fm  this configuation continues to the end

IMG_6365.jpg.f091ce7cb7d5bb88f136300aa56c9ea0.jpg

IMG_6366.jpg.70370adf844c6879a2785325c6bc737e.jpg

On 4/6/2018 at 6:16 PM, Haravex said:

Thanks for the help what species is the crocodile from the hell creek?

I think Borealosuchus sternbergii is the main one, but there are others. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

This one given the texture on the outside I am sure is croc, on the outside there is still some matrix that needs prepping however the inside has non although I thought it did there is a dark areas that are slightly raised above the fossil and looking under a 60x loupe confirms that it is not matrix any ideas what it could be possibly skin? Also not much in terms of location is known about this other than kem kem it could be from either formations and any location for around 10km outside of el begga, I originally picked it up before removing the outside matrix thinking it might have been a piece of petrified wood or conifer. 

PSX_20180408_194101.jpg

PSX_20180408_193933.jpg

A piece of croc jaw for sure. That weird pattern looks pretty similar to what I generally see in tooth sockets. So I don't see much out of the ordinary. Judging from the angle of the tooth sockets I'd say this is part of the front of the croc jaw. But I can't really tell if it's upper or lower jaw. Curvature and possible sutures might give more hints.

On 4/6/2018 at 10:16 AM, Haravex said:

Thanks for the help what species is the crocodile from the hell creek?

Brachychampsa montana

4 hours ago, Haravex said:

This one given the texture on the outside I am sure is croc, on the outside there is still some matrix that needs prepping however the inside has non although I thought it did there is a dark areas that are slightly raised above the fossil and looking under a 60x loupe confirms that it is not matrix any ideas what it could be possibly skin? Also not much in terms of location is known about this other than kem kem it could be from either formations and any location for around 10km outside of el begga, I originally picked it up before removing the outside matrix thinking it might have been a piece of petrified wood or conifer. 

I'm with LT on this one a a Croc jaw

Thanks for information guys it really helps never seen that structure before so was a new one for me. Sadly there are no sutures but an identification on what piece it is great.

What's the size of that croc jaw? Because size could possibly eliminate some croc candidates.

Is It is 5inch by 3inch now for something completely different I picked up a few pieces one for prep practice and the second because I like it and have never seen it before. The prep is a Devonian trilobite I think drotops but posting here as there are some real experts on these bugs. The second I am most excited about is a plaqaderm from a boney fish again Devonian period I could only think of dunkleostosus but am sure there are more species than this.

PSX_20180417_155304.jpg

PSX_20180417_155227.jpg

You might want to start two new post with the last two items to get a broader view.   Will get more fish and bugs guys looking at them

Ok question is late at night so not good light to take photographs but are there any inclinations of tyrannosaurids in the kem kem?

11 hours ago, Haravex said:

Ok question is late at night so not good light to take photographs but are there any inclinations of tyrannosaurids in the kem kem?

Ha ha sure looks like one with those serrations but no or not yet.  The environment not suited for herbivores which was their primary food source.  Beautiful tooth.  If I had to guess its a dentary tooth of a large bodied Abelsaurid. 

Check this out almost a exact match

Screenshot_20180419-053746.thumb.jpg.c8bf63faeebe2116c1a6f8ea9cc92da8.jpg

The teeth of majungasaurus seem rather small this is 47mm in length (or 1.85" for those across the pond) and there where sauropods but the kem kem is really bizarre so could just be an ablesauirde grew to such size

Archived