Jump to content
Phevo

Mystery fossil from brazil !

Recommended Posts

Phevo

Sooooo....

I have a skullfragment from Brazil dating back from the 60s, but have no data other than that I'm afraid and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions in terms of ID?

There is no prep done to it, so there is quite a bit of bony matrix still attached.

Here come a few pictures, but if anyone wants some closeups of something in particular don't hesitate to ask

Best regards

Good luck ! :P

 

Bagfra.jpg

Bideflade.jpg

Side 2.jpg

Side.jpg

Skråt oppefra.jpg

Tænder.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
digit

Interesting mystery. I'm no expert on identifying cranial fossils but the one thing that did jump out at me was the brown banding on what might be a tooth in the last photo. The shape and banding are somewhat suggestive of ground sloth teeth. I know nothing of the fossils of South America other than Darwin did find fossils of Megatherium and Glyptodon so it seems some of the Pliocene fossil fauna is similar to what I'm more familiar with in South Florida. When some of the more knowledgeable forum members come across this, they may have more intelligent comments. @Harry Pristis @Al Dente

 

Cheers.

 

-Ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fossildude19

Any idea of where in Brazil it came from?

It's kind of a big country. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Troodon

The age of the deposits it was found in would help.  Lots of cretaceous areas are present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Pristis

 

Remove more matrix and something identifiable may emerge.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phevo

 

5 hours ago, digit said:

Interesting mystery. I'm no expert on identifying cranial fossils but the one thing that did jump out at me was the brown banding on what might be a tooth in the last photo. The shape and banding are somewhat suggestive of ground sloth teeth. I know nothing of the fossils of South America other than Darwin did find fossils of Megatherium and Glyptodon so it seems some of the Pliocene fossil fauna is similar to what I'm more familiar with in South Florida. When some of the more knowledgeable forum members come across this, they may have more intelligent comments. @Harry Pristis @Al Dente

 

Cheers.

 

-Ken

 

Thank you for the input, I do see a resemblance in the two you mentioned, but haven't come across any with the same preservation

 

4 hours ago, Troodon said:

The age of the deposits it was found in would help.  Lots of cretaceous areas are present.

 

One of my brothers received it when he was a child and he has no interrest in fossils and probably woulden't remember either way ;P

 

4 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Any idea of where in Brazil it came from?

It's kind of a big country. ;) 

 

Around Belo Horizonte

3 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

 

Remove more matrix and something identifiable may emerge.

 

 

 

I was hoping the teeth would reveal something, I don't want to tamper with it until i have an abraiding system set up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×