Mosasaur tooth ?

BRONSON

Hi guys I felt well enough to take some quick snaps of one of my fossils, I am sorry the quality isnt amazing but I still aint over my flu yet.

I think this is a tooth from a Mosasaur, but thats going from what has been posted on this forum when I have been reading through all the old posts, I will have to make a few posts to fit a few of the pictures on and will make them smaller next time so I dont have this problem.

I bought this from friend decades ago, he thought it might be a Mosasaur Bogey or something like that, no idea where it came from at all.

DSCN0382.thumb.JPG.aaabf5321b3704e3210de1868b006b17.JPG

DSCN0384.thumb.JPG.c14369665fdbc24c5c43e10915952050.JPG

DSCN0386.thumb.JPG.246300f3df1c17584fd2ab28a36e6068.JPG

Edited by BRONSON

Here is a few more pics, with a ruler for scale, my friend who is good at woodwork has made me a stand for this, and depending on what tooth it is I will put a name plate on it and possibly a small model of the actual creature attached to the stand.

DSCN0387.thumb.JPG.1000986a37f94dfb367f18437f9e4891.JPG

DSCN0392.thumb.JPG.113be95c17540a2128fc81df91c85324.JPG

DSCN0393.thumb.JPG.4b185d3b0dd02d07375cfb2c86701dd1.JPG

Edited by BRONSON

3 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Yes.

Mosasaurus beaugei  or Mosasaurus hoffmanni.

Ooh thankyou, is this a good size for one of these, what is the largest size tooth found ?

Edited by BRONSON

Not sure what the largest size is. But those animals got to like T. rex size. 10 to 12 meters long.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Like LordTrilobite said, the tooth is obviously a mosasaur, and is probably one of the main Mosasaurus species found in Morocco (beaugei and hoffmanni). The specific genus/species ID can be done by identifying the distinct flat sides shaping the crown (go to a source of light, and shine it on the tooth. Notice how the tooth begins to reflect flat sides rather than perfect roundness) As far as I know, this trait is usually the key characteristics for Mosasaurus. As for species wise, I believe that hoffmanni teeth are usually more robust than beaugei. Based on the shape, I'd vote for Mosasaurus beaugei.

1 hour ago, BRONSON said:

is this a good size for one of these, what is the largest size tooth found ?

As far as I know, some Moroccan mosasaur tooth crowns can grow up to 3 inches long alone, but teeth like that are exceptionally rare. The average tooth I'd come across would be an inch or two.

1 hour ago, BRONSON said:

Mosasaur Bogey

:rofl: 

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

I posted the latest hoffmanni revision(2017),a while back,if i remember correctly (Street/Caldwell/Geol.Mag)

edit(minute later)

photjamjjpwillist.jpg

9 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

Like LordTrilobite said, the tooth is obviously a mosasaur, and is probably one of the main Mosasaurus species found in Morocco (beaugei and hoffmanni). The specific genus/species ID can be done by identifying the distinct flat sides shaping the crown (go to a source of light, and shine it on the tooth. Notice how the tooth begins to reflect flat sides rather than perfect roundness) As far as I know, this trait is usually the key characteristics for Mosasaurus. As for species wise, I believe that hoffmanni teeth are usually more robust than beaugei. Based on the shape, I'd vote for Mosasaurus beaugei.

Some Prognathodon also have facets on their teeth.

And Mosasaurus teeth can vary from having smooth teeth to strongly faceted in a single individual. I forget where, but I do remember reading about M. beaugei and M. hoffmanni having different number of facets on their teeth if present. As far as I know the teeth shape also varies a little between these species. There's good reference for M. hoffmanni to be found. But there is very little reliable reference for M. beaugei as far as I know.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Thankyou so much so far for all this information, keep it coming its all very interesting, yes what looks to be the inner side of the tooth has lots of vertical facets, which were hard to pick up in the photograph at the time, I will retake some and fiddle with the lighting effects to highlight these, so a Bogey is the Beaugei then :blush: I probably miss-heard him.

Sorry to bump this to the top, are most of you agreed this is Mosasaur Baugei then ? as my friend is going to make a nameplate to attach to the stand he made for it for me and I dont want to get the name wrong :headscratch:

On 1/31/2018 at 6:42 PM, doushantuo said:

I posted the latest hoffmanni revision(2017),a while back,if i remember correctly (Street/Caldwell/Geol.Mag)

edit(minute later)

photjamjjpwillist.jpg

I thought it was in my pdf library earlier, but that was H. P. Street's thesis. ;)

5a762d50d9d1a_M.beaugei.jpg.7528aa202d40e4e63dc825bcb43b8ba5.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Bronson, it's important to know where it cames from. If it's from UK that might change the equation. Take a look here .

" The first described genus of mosasaur, Mosasaurus hoffmannii, has been coarsely diagnosed and defined since its creation, with numerous specimens and new species being assigned to the genus with little or no reference to, and thus few real similarities with, the generic type specimen. One of the earliest examples of a weakly defined and diagnosed species assigned to the genus is Mosasaurus gracilis. Location and examination of the various assigned specimens and the holotype indicate that M. gracilis shares more characters, such as a short rostrum on the dentary anterior to the first teeth, with russellosaurine mosasaurs. In addition, M. gracilis is known from Turonian deposits, whereas other species belonging to Mosasaurus are upper Campanian–Maastrichtian in age. Based on the evidence of shared characters and contemporaneity, we suggest that M. gracilis be removed from Mosasaurus because it shares more affinities with members of the Russellosaurina. This represents the first step in the very necessary process of untangling the alpha taxonomy, and subsequently the complete systematics, of the genus Mosasaurus hoffmannii. " - Street & Caldwell, 2014

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Not saying it is, but the matrix that is still clinging to the tooth sure looks like the Moroccan Phosphate material.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Without a strong evidence of the location and / or geological age, I think it can't be assigned correctly to a lower level than Mosasauridae. It can be very well a Moroccan tooth, but I'm not sure of that. I'm sure it is a Mosasaur tooth.

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thankyou so much, I have learned a lot from all this info, made contact with my mate who sold it me years ago and he says it came from Morocco, so excellent work there.

I quite like the 'safe' Mosasaur sp label, might be the best idea, though it is leaning towards it being a Beaugie, looking at others on this site, the information you have all provided and the fact it came from Morocco.