Pyritized goniatite

Manticocerasman

Last trip on my search for cephalopods I found a nodule with a pyritised Goniatite. 

I m used to find them as inner moulds in limestone, so a Pyritized one is a nice change :)

juvenile Manticoceras sp. :

5a7221efadc0c_IMG_20180122_181201(1).thumb.jpg.a1c38dd66d27e0acf04a51eff857c7c0.jpg5a72220d304de_IMG_20180122_175943(1).thumb.jpg.979ef8755d203a287f9f077ccb4b3f8b.jpgIMG_20180122_175943.jpg.09d5474f5467111da7ad5d3e803aef0c.jpg

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Ooooooooo!  :o  :drool:

That is a beauty, Kevin! 

I'd love to find one like that someday!  :wub: 

Thanks for showing us. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Amazing little critter, nice find:dinothumb:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Very nice find and so tiny and cute!

I have questions regarding pyratized fossils. I have a number of them. Some quite large.

Some had turned rusty and begun to breakdown when I found them.

1. How can I stop the deterioration?

Others have dull pyrite on them that I’d love to brighten up. Maybe silver polish or something would work.

2. Is there a way to brighten dull pyrite? I’m not sure if it is just dull on the surface due to oxidation or if the form of pyrite it never was bright.

3. Is there a way to tell? Maybe polishing off the surface on a spot would help determine if that were the case, but I’m not sure.

Then I guess I’d need to preserve these too to prevent further oxidation and I assume the answer to 1 would apply if one comes.

Others have beautiful little pyrite crystals bejeweling them. I want to preserve them too.

Sad to say on the Mariella brazoensis I have the pyrite appears to originate from oysters encrusting their surface and I’ll have to leave the ugly oysters to leave the pyrite.

Oysters are often the bane of my ammonite preps.

30 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

I have questions regarding pyratized fossils. I have a number of them. Some quite large.

Others have dull pyrite on them that I’d love to brighten up. Maybe silver polish or something would work.

2. Is there a way to brighten dull pyrite? I’m not sure if it is just dull on the surface due to oxidation or if the form of pyrite it never was bright.

3. Is there a way to tell? Maybe polishing off the surface on a spot would help determine if that were the case, but I’m not sure.

Then I guess I’d need to preserve these too to prevent further oxidation and I assume the answer to 1 would apply if one comes.

Others have beautiful little pyrite crystals bejeweling them. I want to preserve them too.

Sad to say on the Mariella brazoensis I have the pyrite appears to originate from oysters encrusting their surface and I’ll have to leave the ugly oysters to leave the pyrite.

This post may be helpful. 

I hate pyrite disease. :(

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, KimTexan said:

There's been a lot of discussion about battling pyrite decay. What happens is that pyrite exposed to moisture oxidizes and converts to marcasite and releases sulfuric acid. It's nasty stuff. If it starts, it's usually too late once you discover it. If not, you can stop the process but there's no reversing it. Here's what I have done with great success:

Go to Home Depot or any other hardware store. Buy some Iron Out crystals (it's in the plumbing section). Mix a cup of Iron Out with a gallon of warm water and soak your pyrite overnight. It will look terrible when you pull it out of the solution but never fear. Douse the pyrite with dish soap or some such liquid soap (I like Simple Green Concentrate) and scrub with a toothbrush (either an old one or one that belongs to someone you don't care for). Rinse the nasty off with tap water, dry the pyrite and let it sit for a day or two to get fully dry. Or, you can put them in the oven on low with the door cracked open for an hour or so.

Next, get some McGean B15 (PVA), Paraloid, or Butvar and mix 1 tsp in 1 cup of acetone (1:50 ratio if you need to make more). soak your pyrite in the solution until the bubbles stop and remove. Lay on cardboard to fully dry. If too large to submerge, you can brush on the solution (2 coats).

This will seal out the moisture and preserve your pyritized ammonites.

@Ptychodus04 Thank you very much for all the input and detailed instructions! It is informative and very helpful.

I hope family members know to hide their toothbrushes from you.:D

I have heard so much on TFF about the paraloid, Butvar and PVA, but I have yet to buy any. I need to just buy some. I do most of the chemistry work at work if any needs to be done so it can’t be too difficult to make the stuff. Sounds a bit messy though.

@Tidgy's Dad I am not sure why, but your link did not load for me. There is a spot where the link occupies the page, but it is blank. I was going to quote you rather than @ you and it populated then. Something weird is going on with links. I haven’t had that happen before. Thanks for the link.

7 hours ago, KimTexan said:

@Ptychodus04 Thank you very much for all the input and detailed instructions! It is informative and very helpful.

I hope family members know to hide their toothbrushes from you.:D

I have heard so much on TFF about the paraloid, Butvar and PVA, but I have yet to buy any. I need to just buy some. I do most of the chemistry work at work if any needs to be done so it can’t be too difficult to make the stuff. Sounds a bit messy though.

Most of my family’s toothbrushes are safe... :ninja:

The solution is easy when it it so thin. The plastic dissolved very quickly. You can make a small batch in a mason jar. Just add your acetone and sprinkle in the right amount of plastic beads, close lid and shake.

Archived