Manticocerasman

Pyritized goniatite

Manticocerasman

Last trip on my search for cephalopods I found a nodule with a pyritised Goniatite. 

I m used to find them as inner moulds in limestone, so a Pyritized one is a nice change :)

juvenile Manticoceras sp. :

5a7221efadc0c_IMG_20180122_181201(1).thumb.jpg.a1c38dd66d27e0acf04a51eff857c7c0.jpg5a72220d304de_IMG_20180122_175943(1).thumb.jpg.979ef8755d203a287f9f077ccb4b3f8b.jpgIMG_20180122_175943.jpg.09d5474f5467111da7ad5d3e803aef0c.jpg

Fossildude19

Ooooooooo!  :o  :drool:

That is a beauty, Kevin! 

I'd love to find one like that someday!  :wub: 

Thanks for showing us. 

Tidgy's Dad

That is gorgeous! :)

Good find and thanks for sharing. 

WhodamanHD

Amazing little critter, nice find:dinothumb:

KimTexan

Very nice find and so tiny and cute!

I have questions regarding pyratized fossils. I have a number of them. Some quite large.

Some had turned rusty and begun to breakdown when I found them.

1. How can I stop the deterioration?

Others have dull pyrite on them that I’d love to brighten up. Maybe silver polish or something would work.

2. Is there a way to brighten dull pyrite? I’m not sure if it is just dull on the surface due to oxidation or if the form of pyrite it never was bright.

3. Is there a way to tell? Maybe polishing off the surface on a spot would help determine if that were the case, but I’m not sure.

Then I guess I’d need to preserve these too to prevent further oxidation and I assume the answer to 1 would apply if one comes.

Others have beautiful little pyrite crystals bejeweling them. I want to preserve them too.

Sad to say on the Mariella brazoensis I have the pyrite appears to originate from oysters encrusting their surface and I’ll have to leave the ugly oysters to leave the pyrite.

Oysters are often the bane of my ammonite preps.

Tidgy's Dad
30 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

Very nice find and so tiny and cute!

I have questions regarding pyratized fossils. I have a number of them. Some quite large.

Some had turned rusty and begun to breakdown when I found them.

1. How can I stop the deterioration?

Others have dull pyrite on them that I’d love to brighten up. Maybe silver polish or something would work.

2. Is there a way to brighten dull pyrite? I’m not sure if it is just dull on the surface due to oxidation or if the form of pyrite it never was bright.

3. Is there a way to tell? Maybe polishing off the surface on a spot would help determine if that were the case, but I’m not sure.

Then I guess I’d need to preserve these too to prevent further oxidation and I assume the answer to 1 would apply if one comes.

Others have beautiful little pyrite crystals bejeweling them. I want to preserve them too.

Sad to say on the Mariella brazoensis I have the pyrite appears to originate from oysters encrusting their surface and I’ll have to leave the ugly oysters to leave the pyrite.

Oysters are often the bane of my ammonite preps.

This post may be helpful. 

I hate pyrite disease. :(

Darktooth

A very nice find!

Ludwigia

:wub:

ynot

Pretty little thing.:wub:

Jeffrey P

That little beauty sure is awesome. Big congratulations Kevin and thanks for sharing it with us. 

doushantuo

Simply:Wow

KimTexan

@Ptychodus04 Thank you very much for all the input and detailed instructions! It is informative and very helpful.

I hope family members know to hide their toothbrushes from you.:D

I have heard so much on TFF about the paraloid, Butvar and PVA, but I have yet to buy any. I need to just buy some. I do most of the chemistry work at work if any needs to be done so it can’t be too difficult to make the stuff. Sounds a bit messy though.

@Tidgy's Dad I am not sure why, but your link did not load for me. There is a spot where the link occupies the page, but it is blank. I was going to quote you rather than @ you and it populated then. Something weird is going on with links. I haven’t had that happen before. Thanks for the link.

Ptychodus04
7 hours ago, KimTexan said:

@Ptychodus04 Thank you very much for all the input and detailed instructions! It is informative and very helpful.

I hope family members know to hide their toothbrushes from you.:D

I have heard so much on TFF about the paraloid, Butvar and PVA, but I have yet to buy any. I need to just buy some. I do most of the chemistry work at work if any needs to be done so it can’t be too difficult to make the stuff. Sounds a bit messy though.

Most of my family’s toothbrushes are safe... :ninja:

The solution is easy when it it so thin. The plastic dissolved very quickly. You can make a small batch in a mason jar. Just add your acetone and sprinkle in the right amount of plastic beads, close lid and shake.

RJB

so small and yet so cute.

RB

Ptychodus04
2 hours ago, RJB said:

so small and yet so cute.

RB

I’ve never been described as small but thanks for the compliment either way. :P