My Jurassic Park - Bones

Troodon

A few items I recently picked up at the Tucson show.  Others will follow :ighappy:

Nice size Pterosaur upper beak.

AlanquaA.thumb.jpg.f3746fa3fffbfd20c8816835ea2a0e38.jpg

Big Dorsal from a Theropod - needs to be prepped to remove matrix glued on the bone.  Will tackle after the show.

552911052_CarchVertebra.thumb.jpg.298dbcbd8f383bd1031e19cb8f1607ff.jpg

Spino Metatarsal 

SpinoMeta1A.thumb.jpg.7a186cff21032d5465277b8993da7a87.jpg

SpinoCarp4.thumb.jpg.12e51cc4d946dace22173df751a8e181.jpg

Very Arthritic bone.. believe its Phalanx   

CarpalArthritic.thumb.jpg.b247d4009654e1cbf95c9b84555982f2.jpg

• I found this Informative 14

I wish they would leave these bones as found.  Spent a couple of hours removing the glued sand blobs at both ends but decided to leave the matrix at one end to have a record of what it was in.  Believe it to be a Pterosaur bone not sure which one could be carpal.  The bone is very thin and hollow which is why I made that call.  Nice size.

5a74c988e19f4_PterosaurLimb.thumb.jpg.82c510746597fc82966b7397b2764a7b.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

I started working on cleaning the dorsal vertebra I posted above and initially thought the material on the neural spine was matrix.  It turned out to be bone and I'm guessing disease or possibly arthritis.   Anyway very cool and its on both sides the full length of the spine.

RebbVertB.thumb.jpg.b19771495c5534a55644623bead8b04b.jpg

RebbVertA.jpg.f19c0fed1a5db359028aa2a2f1ccc757.jpg

2127743479_CarchVertebra.thumb.jpg.7dd4864cc0d6cc9ff1233ff9e1f8421c.jpg

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

I started working on cleaning the Rebb dorsal vertebra I posted above and initially thought the material on the neural spine was matrix.  It turned out to be bone and I'm guessing disease or possibly arthritis.   Anyway very cool and its on both sides the full length of the spine.

So cool. Is there a term used to describe fossils showing disease or healed wounds?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Pathologic.

Oh right! Thanks for reminding me.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Frank, nice acquisitions- i have always wondered what type of app do you and others use to put together the pics the way that you do? I’m always impressed.

Frank

The Rebbachisaurus vertebra is fantastic.

Here is a neural spine which I picked up while visiting El Begaa. I've never been sure what it is but you've confirmed it. I think the roughened area is for the attachment of the interspinous ligaments, which must have been massive. Below it is a photo of a Carcharodontosaurus humerus I bought at the same location.

regards

Paul

5a783619ef6e2_KemKemSpine2c.jpg.fa43129db03adeddc52028a6551345b8.jpg

Kem Kem Spine11000x700.jpg

Kem Kem Humerus7_1400.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

On 2/5/2018 at 3:45 AM, paulgdls said:

Frank

The Rebbachisaurus vertebra is fantastic.

Here is a neural spine which I picked up while visiting El Begaa. I've never been sure what it is but you've confirmed it. I think the roughened area is for the attachment of the interspinous ligaments, which must have been massive. Below it is a photo of a Carcharodontosaurus humerus I bought at the same location.

regards

Paul

Well that makes much more sense with the ligaments, have never seen anything like that must have been massive.  The humerus is beautiful nice find.

• I found this Informative 1

I am also in the ligament attachment camp on that vert.  I have seen them on T rex, ceratopsians and Morrison Fm sauropods.  

• I found this Informative 3

5 hours ago, jpc said:

I am also in the ligament attachment camp on that vert.  I have seen them on T rex, ceratopsians and Morrison Fm sauropods.  

Thanks,  interesting have never seen it or payed much attention to it.  Always learning.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:34 AM, Nimravis said:

Frank, nice acquisitions- i have always wondered what type of app do you and others use to put together the pics the way that you do? I’m always impressed.

I have wondered the same thing.  Very impressive.

And your acquisitions are awesome.

5 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I have wondered the same thing.  Very impressive.

And your acquisitions are awesome.

I'm not very good since do not have the patience to set up for the best photo with lighting.  But it starts with a good picture and Adobe Photoshop Elements does the rest.  It helps to have good subject matter.

• I found this Informative 1

Pick this nice looking bone from one of the Moroccan Tents.  Not sure what its from Dinosaurian or other Reptilian but leaning to it being a Metartarsal of a  Crocdyliform 

UnidentifiedCarpl_edited-1.thumb.jpg.49d128ea4c196add251f1efbf633e7d5.jpg

Similar to this one

image.thumb.png.3e46d1f5c11f070dd491d766e7d38c75.png

• I found this Informative 4

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Some very nice material you acquired! Especially the azhdarchid beak :)

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

12 minutes ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Some very nice material you acquired! Especially the azhdarchid beak :)

-Christian

Thanks.  The seller actually had a longer one this year but I did pass on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I always like to add baby material to my collection.  I was very fortunate to obtain this Spinosaurid dentary.  

5c76a7957603b_SpinoJawBaby.thumb.jpg.a0052db88c947489aff976e039ffa0ac.jpg

On 2/15/2019 at 9:29 PM, Troodon said:

Some new material from Tucson.  Need to check out that Vertebra but could be a Spino cervical

5c672073e0f34_NewStuff.thumb.jpg.743b49d2938f4c01e246850ce159e002.jpgSpinoVertCervP.jpg.934f452b54732c89c34a789c074fa5a5.jpg

Yes definitely a Spinosaurid cervical vertebra. Is the neural spine broken off? Because it looks a little short. The underside of the centrum can show whether this is Sigilmassasaurus or Spinosaurus. As Sigilmassasaurus has a posterior triangular rugose plateau on the ventral side. Other Spinosaurids don't have that feature.

Very nice pieces.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

19 hours ago, Troodon said:

I always like to add baby material to my collection.  I was very fortunate to obtain this Spinosaurid dentary.  

I remember seeing this one before. It's such a beautiful little thing and I would've gotten it if not for my lack of funds

11 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Yes definitely a Spinosaurid cervical vertebra. Is the neural spine broken off? Because it looks a little short. The underside of the centrum can show whether this is Sigilmassasaurus or Spinosaurus. As Sigilmassasaurus has a posterior triangular rugose plateau on the ventral side. Other Spinosaurids don't have that feature.

Very nice pieces.

Thanks for the confirmation.  There is no platform on the bottom, first thing I looked for, why I labeled it Spinosaurus.  The neural spine has an area that is missing on the anterior side but the rest looks to be all there, I do not see any breaks .  Its from a juvie so the spines might not be fully formed?

6 hours ago, Troodon said:

Thanks for the confirmation.  There is no platform on the bottom, first think I looked for, why I labeled it Spinosaurus.  The neural spine has an area that is missing on the anterior side but the rest looks to be all there, I do not see any breaks .  Its from a juvie so the spines might not be fully formed?

I've not seen a whole lot of complete cervical Spinosaurus vertebrae. But from what I have seen it does seem like Spinosaurus has taller neural spines on the neck than Sigilmassasaurus does. Though what I'd really like to see is a definite Sigilmassasaurus dorsal vertebra that is complete so we can find out if it had a sail or not. There are dorsal vertebrae with the same rugose ventral plateau, so my hunch is that those also belong to Sigilmassasaurus even though none such vertebra has been described.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite