Member of the Month - February 2018 - WhodamanHD

Kane

As so many of us north of the line remain buried under snow, hibernating and hatching plans for the collecting season to come, others down south are taking fun dips into the rivers where levels are perfect for Meg hunts - much to our envy. February is the shortest month, but for some feels the longest as we plod and trudge inexorably toward spring's season of renewal. But take heart! Daylight hours continue to extend, and the mercury can't stay so low forever! And it is also - right on cue - time to announce our newest Member of the Month!

By unanimous staff vote, we are happy to declare that February's Member of the Month is ...

:yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1:       WhodamanHD        :yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1:

Mason is one of our younger members, chock full of that pep, vim, vigour, and enthusiasm for all things fossils. If he isn't "hunting the line," you might see him at various beaches (even in snowy winter!). His is that curiousity we hope can be cultivated and nurtured among the younger crowd.

We have borne witness to Mason's fantastic progression to the kind of member he is today: welcoming, encouraging, helpful, and inquisitive. And the more he has learned in his almost nine months with us, the more actively he participates and maintains that status quo of good forum citizenship. Always eager to help with an ID, salute new members, provide tips, and cheer on members on their intrepid fossil quests, there is no doubt Mason makes a valuable contribution to our community and its very high standards.

WhodamanHD -  Thanks for all you do and contribute here on the Forum!

Congratulations Sir! Wear this Crown with joy as you earned it!

Care to tell us about your journey here to the Fossil Forum ? :) This is your opportunity to tell us about your fossil journey, although compared to us old-timers, yours is just at the beginning!

On behalf of the staff here on TFF, congratulations! 

• I found this Informative 5

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Congratulations, Mason. :) 

@WhodamanHD

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Most excellent, Mason a much deserved and splendid win for an active member i always see around the place posting interesting, informative and friendly stuff. 

Well deserved congratulations, young sir! :yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Congratulations, Mason, I really enjoy reading your contributions.  Well deserved recognition.  Looking forward to learning more about you.  :popcorn:

And, Mason, i really love your Repository For Unwanted Fossils Paragraph. Very funny. 

Good try. :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Yep,Mason HAS made progress,and iwith an encouraging* /(DAUNTING:dinosmile:) tempo!

Deserved,young sir,and kudo's to you!!

*for those of us who believe in the continued intellectual progress of mankind

Woohoo well done Mason!!! :fistbump: 

Definitely well-deserved. Looking forward to hearing your story! :ighappy:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Boo! Boo! I demand a recount!:ighappy:

Thank you all, I feel very honored to be MOTM and a member of this community!

Here comes the long spiel:

unlike many who find an interest in this field, I never had a ‘dinosaur phase’, rather I was interested in science as a whole as well as history. I credit my mother who got me more documentaries than Disney movies, sometimes at my request, when I was very young. From the “ walking with...”es to discovery channel documentaries on the deep of space, they amazed and dazzled me! I grew with this love for knowledge and was always determined to get science channel on the TV. I always wanted a hobby to keep me from being bored, so I started a collection of things (because I knew I could never keep with a specific collection). Now and then I’d put a fossil or two in, but my idea of what I was putting in exactly was limited. Fast forward to 8th grade, near the end of the year. The current science teacher and the old one who still substitutes (he’s taught most of my aunts and uncles as well as my Mother) put together a fossil hunt, as they do every year. My Mother went on one of two with him when she was in 8th grade. She told me it would be great (the teacher is really a fantastic teacher and has a true love for science), and I said yes without a second thought. The two hour bus ride was filled with anticipation, I thought I’d be lucky to find a shell or two. After all, fossils are super rare, right? Gosh was I wrong. The shale flowed forth like water, and within it gastropods and crinoid pieces were perfectly preserved from 350 MYA!! This was amazing to me! The next stop was just a few miles away, but the rocks and fossils were different. This fascinated me, and I thought where else in Maryland...

At this point I got here, after trying to identify some strange fossils (turned out to be worm burrows). I tried my hand at IDs and I found it fun and informational (I don’t know how many I get wrong, but I get better with each new ID). 

After learning any sedimentary rock has a chance of holding fossils, I got out an incredibly old and misleading geologic map, and I was hooked. I scoured all over, looking for new sites (few held more than worm burrows). I’ve recently been heading east for the cliffs. My experiences with the fossil hunting community, here and elsewhere, have been incredibly good! The people here are so nice and helpful (and humorous) and I am glad I get a chance to be able to talk with all of you! I plan to continue this and I now hope to pursue a career in this area! Thanks again! 

• I found this Informative 11

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

6 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

And, Mason, i really love your Repository For Unwanted Fossils Paragraph. Very funny. 

Good try. :D

Ha, that was a joke! I was wondering if anybody would ever notice (I have to change it now):P

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

4 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Ha, that was a joke! I was wondering if anybody would ever notice (I have to change it now):P

I know it was a joke, my friend, but I am observant and wished to show off! 

And i won't forget! ;)

Loved your journey to TFF story, too, most interesting and you've clearly had a lot of support and encouragement.  

Congratulations, again and good luck with your future and your fossil hunting! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

@Ludwigia @jcbshark @Max-fossils @Tidgy's Dad @Kane @doushantuo @Monica @Fruitbat @Darktooth @Pagurus@PFOOLEY @Fossildude19 @Foozil

Thank you all for your kindness! It’s been a pleasure talking to each of you! I like to think that my age (15 years) doesn't effect me too much here, but I’m sure it shows, as does my inexperience. Luckily, I can leech knowledge from all of you!:ighappy:

Happy hunting,

Mason

Congrats for the trophy! It's your merit. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

The current science teacher and the old one who still substitutes (he’s fought most of my aunts and uncles as well as my Mother) put together a fossil hunt, as they do every year. 

I hope he taught your aunts and uncles and mother.  Either that or you come from a family of welterweight champions.  

:hearty-laugh:

1 hour ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

I hope he taught your aunts and uncles and mother.  Either that or you come from a family of welterweight champions.  

:hearty-laugh:

Remember the good old days when one could wrestle their earth science teacher?:P

Keys are too small on this phone!

• I found this Informative 1

Happy hunting,

Mason

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Member of the Month - February 2018 - WhodamanHD
18 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Boo! Boo! I demand a recount!:ighappy:

Thank you all, I feel very honored to be MOTM and a member of this community!

Here comes the long spiel:

Very interesting story! Pleasure to read. 

18 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

My experiences with the fossil hunting community, here and elsewhere, have been incredibly good! The people here are so nice and helpful (and humorous) and I am glad I get a chance to be able to talk with all of you!

I must agree with this. The generosity, knowledge and light-heartedness of most fossil-hunters are really unparalleled! :)

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Congratulations on a the very well deserved recognition and honor for being the winner for February.

I am a new member but reading over many threads it is apparent why you are a winner. Love your story

on how and why you are a fossil hunter.  Your contributions to the forum are fantastic and very helpful to

us new member as well as the seasoned ones. 

Keep up the good work. :dinothumb::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1:

Thank you @oldtimer! I still feel like a new member, time has gone quickly the last 9 months! 

Happy hunting,

Mason