doge4president

Hi, well, is it real and if it's from Nanotyrannus, Dakotaraptor/Acheroraptor or Tyrannosaurus rex, i think it's the first but i'm not sure

Edited by doge4president

Yes it's real and a Tyrannosaurid and definitely not a Dromeosaurid.  Without the base I cannot properly diagnose the tooth if it's Nanotyrannus or Rex.  Most likely Nano.  It's missing the bottom portion of the tooth not a good purchase

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

Without the base I cannot properly diagnose the tooth if it's Nanotyrannus or Rex. 

Sorry to butt in, but can you show me know how to differenciate Nanos with Rex outside size differences?

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

1 hour ago, Macrophyseter said:

Sorry to butt in, but can you show me know how to differenciate Nanos with Rex outside size differences?

Since both are tyrannosaurid there can be some overlap and identifying isolated teeth is not always easy.   In general Nano teeth are more slender and don't have the bulk of a rex tooth.  The problem exists with teeth smaller than 2 1/2" (6-7cm)   Nano teeth tend to be much more compressed compared with a Rex tooth.   Lower rex teeth typically have are oval or round base where Nano are very rectangular and the tip comes to a narrow point where Rex teeth can be blunt.  Maxillary teeth can have the same cross-section profile so you need to look at the tip and bulk of the tooth.  Serrations on Rex teeth can also continue over the tip of the crown.  For smaller teeth serrations are not an indication of species and there is no way to distinguish between pre-maxillary teeth other than size.  Remember just because its small it does not mean Nano, there are lots of small Rex teeth that exhibit all the characteristics of an adult tooth

• I found this Informative 1

52 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Since both are tyrannosaurid there can be some overlap and identifying isolated teeth is not always easy.   In general Nano teeth are more slender and don't have the bulk of a rex tooth.  The problem exists with teeth smaller than 2 1/2" (6-7cm)   Nano teeth tend to be much more compressed compared with a Rex tooth.   Lower rex teeth typically have are oval or round base where Nano are very rectangular and the tip comes to a narrow point where Rex teeth can be blunt.  Maxillary teeth can have the same cross-section profile so you need to look at the tip and bulk of the tooth.  Serrations on Rex teeth can also continue over the tip of the crown.  For smaller teeth serrations are not an indication of species and there is no way to distinguish between pre-maxillary teeth other than size.  Remember just because its small it does not mean Nano, there are lots of small Rex teeth that exhibit all the characteristics of an adult tooth

Got it now, thanks!

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png