Shark Tooth Orientation Inside A Concretion?

uncoat

Hey all, im posting this in hopes some of you shark folks may be able to help me out. I have a shark tooth in a concretion from the west coast. I have decided im going to prep this one myself and leave a backing of matrix on the ventral side of the tooth. So my question is, is it possible to tell the ventral/dorsal from what little is exposed already. This is probably a carcharodon sp. tooth but i really wont be sure until i am able to prep it. I have compared this tooth to some megs and white shark teeth i have in my collection and im kind of leaning in one direction already but i really don't know that much about shark teeth so i would be interested to hear other opinions.

I took some photos and added A and B as to distinguish the sides. Any ideas or advice is much appreciated.

Nick 

TOOTH1.jpg

TOOTH2.jpg

TOOTH3.jpg

TOOTH4.jpg

DSC_0529.JPG

20 minutes ago, -AnThOnY- said:

Last picture looks ventral to me, so my opinion is to prep from side B

Do you mean labial, or lingual?

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Do you mean labial, or lingual?

Interesting, so when referring to teeth one would use Labial/Lingual rather then Ventral/Dorsal? Great to know thanks Fossildude19.

Ventral/Dorsal means bottom/top for most critters (I guess we are an exception due to our upright posture).  What does "ventral side" of a shark tooth mean?  Labial/Lingual means towards the lips/towards the tongue, which is the usual way of describing the faces of a tooth.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

35 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Ventral/Dorsal means bottom/top for most critters (I guess we are an exception due to our upright posture).  What does "ventral side" of a shark tooth mean?  Labial/Lingual means towards the lips/towards the tongue, which is the usual way of describing the faces of a tooth.

Don

Yeah when i was writing this i was thinking of a tooth laying on a table. 

On 2/1/2018 at 2:52 PM, RJB said:

Wow!  Very cool find!  Only wish I found it and could prep it. 

RB

Thanks RJB, I'm excited to prep it.

I'd guess that A is the lingual side, but that's only an uneducated guess :P I would start the prep on side A since that appears to be the side which is easiest to approach.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

On 2/2/2018 at 5:55 PM, uncoat said:

Thanks RJB, I'm excited to prep it.

Be careful.  Remember that the root is more fragile than the crown.  I have a Carcharodon carcharias from the Pliocene of Florida that had a coral grow around it.  The tip was sticking out but either the person who found it or someone a deal or two later decided to expose the crown on the labial side.  The crown looks nice but the root was cut into.  The prepper didn't see where the root ended and the coral began.