Fossil fish- broken or under matrix?

Bone guy

I just bought this fossil fish. I wanted to know if the "wide open" areas  just under the dorsal fin and in the ribs are signs of breakage, or are they just under the matrix?

35 minutes ago, Bone guy said:

Well I can't seem to be able to upload the picture, so I guess I may never know.

Welcome to TFF!

There was a software update a week ago that is messing with picture upload size. If You reduce the size of Your pictures You should be able to upload them. (Administrators are working on the problem.)

Looking forward to seeing Your fish.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Looks well exposed to Me. There is some of the head missing, but I do not think You will find any buried on this one.

Nice fish, by the way.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

This is a nice Diplomystus dentatus from the Green River Formation. 

The blank spots could be caused by a few things - decomposition/wave action before burial, ... scavenging, ... and the way the fossil was preserved in the rock.

The other half of this split fossil might show more of what's missing. Compression fossils are prone to this, as well as just poor carbonization of the bones. 

Hope that helps. 
Regards,

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

This fish could have been damaged before preservation.

The thoracic damage may have been what killed it. 

Or the head damage. 

Or it may have happened after death, during preservation and the head may have been damaged in the splitting of the rock. 

But it's a jolly nice fish. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

7 minutes ago, Bone guy said:

Thanks for your help guys! Is there a certain spot in the forum for questions like this?

Q and A would be fine I think, the Mods would move it if it were in the wrong place. Nice fish by the way!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason