Annual Rutgers University Geology Museum Open House

jpenn

This past weekend was the 50th annual Rutgers Geology Museum open house, which was an excellent opportunity to attend guest lectures by professionals and also a chance see the museum's collection. The event was very well attended, and in between lectures (the lecture by Dr. Isaiah Nengo on his work with Nyanzapithecus alesi was excellent) seeing the museum was a hurried, crowded affair. The museum building is a tall 19th century structure with many large tall windows, so on this sunny Saturday sun glare on the glass cases was unfortunately a real and unavoidable problem. Nevertheless, I made an effort to get some photos of the museum to share with TFF.

The Mastodon is a Salem County NJ find. Particularly exciting for me as a huge fan of Phytosaurs was seeing their specimen of Rutiodon manhattenensis, which despite its specific name was found on the New Jersey side of the Hudson. Yet another example of New York stealing New Jersey's credit! Hidden in a corner (it was packed in there, things crammed into corners to make room for tables) was a skull of Mosasaurus "maxmimus" which I'd have loved to known more about since it was apparently a New Jersey find. Alas, no more info than that. Next to it was a cast of the original find Mosasaurus hoffmanii from the Netherlands, which was neat to see in real scale.

01.jpg

02.jpg

02b.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

There were also a large amount of large examples of Placenticeras sp. ammonites, a few from South Dakota and many from New Jersey. As a fan of North American Cretaceous biota Placenticeras is a favorite of mine. These photos don't catch nearly all of that the building had to show, there's a whole upper floor with cases full of rock and fossil specimens from each of New Jersey's notable formations.

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

In addition to the lectures and open museum, Rutgers also holds a Mineral Sale on the premises. It's a small affair, two and a half rows of tables and much of the specimens available are familiar, easily had items such as Madagascar ammonites. I did find and purchase one item of interest, though- a dendroidal graptolite with its original Rutgers laboratory card. Always nice to have a little paper trail with the piece!

dictyonema.jpg

Glad you had a good day. 

Seems very interesting. 

Love the dendroid. :)

Thanks for sharing..

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

8 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Nice find! Parson's Pond is a NJ site?

No, actually it's northern Newfoundland. Which I still find interesting as it's not a locality you often find fossils to buy from.

Archived