2 Identifications for Sharks

Shellseeker

I met a friend near Arcadia on Tuesday. He gave me a Sand Tiger he had just found.   A couple of questions:  How many different species are called Sand Tiger? How many of those existed in Florida?  What is the proper scientific name for this 1.4 inch Sand Tiger? CarchariastaurusMerge.thumb.jpg.2807e9992a8ab916a3cb1b8cf932b401.jpg

I was slightly confused and wanted to share my acquisition of this very nice tooth...

I was out today and found a small shark tooth (along with lots of other stuff) that I have never found before. I use a 1/4 inch screen and this tooth dangled over the river..  I was lucky to catch it as it fell...

So , which shark, which position.... Is this tooth complete???IMG_0484.jpg.276ed42de10e0340387b475b79ced38e.jpgIMG_0485.jpg.41c0fea16a121d56e2624f5f41123707.jpgIMG_0481.jpg.058203af303a75a586c63b4edb0532cb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Hello, your second tooth is a nurse shark tooth. I don't know the exact species, but it is likely from the genus Ginglymostoma.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Those sand tigers are hard to tell apart, maybe Odontaspis?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 hours ago, josephstrizhak said:

Hello, your second tooth is a nurse shark tooth. I don't know the exact species, but it is likely from the genus Ginglymostoma.

Thanks,  Found this on Fred Mazza;s website who guides Peace River fossil hunting trips.

Looks like an exact match -- Is the ID by Fred correct? Have any other Peace River hunters found one of these?image.png.a202c9516e7fac49834508cee7ffbcde.png

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

4 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Thanks,  Found this on Fred Mazza;s website who guides Peace River fossil hunting trips.

Looks like an exact match -- Is the ID by Fred correct? Have any other Peace River hunters found one of these?

I haven't found any while screening, Jack, but I use a 1/2 inch screen so they would pass right through. I also don't recall any from the micro matrix I collected from the Peace and I sent quite a few packages to Forum members who posted their finds. I don't think anyone posted one of these.

I would label the sand tiger as Carcharias taurus, the same as the modern sand tiger based on the enamel folds on the lingual side and probable Pliocene age. There is a lot of disagreement on identification of Carcharias teeth. Same goes for nurse shark teeth. Similar teeth from the Gainesville area have been identified as Ginglymostoma sp.

Interesting teeth Jack. No nurse teeth finds personally but I do remember seeing someone had awhile back.. Thanks for sharing. 

Regards, Chris 

I found one nurse shark tooth in the micro matrix I collect, I believe Ken found some too:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

12 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

I met a friend near Arcadia on Tuesday. He gave me a Sand Tiger he had just found.   A couple of questions:  How many different species are called Sand Tiger? How many of those existed in Florida?  What is the proper scientific name for this 1.4 inch Sand Tiger? CarchariastaurusMerge.thumb.jpg.2807e9992a8ab916a3cb1b8cf932b401.jpg

I was slightly confused and wanted to share my acquisition of this very nice tooth...

I was out today and found a small shark tooth (along with lots of other stuff) that I have never found before. I use a 1/4 inch screen and this tooth dangled over the river..  I was lucky to catch it as it fell...

So , which shark, which position.... Is this tooth complete???IMG_0484.jpg.276ed42de10e0340387b475b79ced38e.jpgIMG_0485.jpg.41c0fea16a121d56e2624f5f41123707.jpgIMG_0481.jpg.058203af303a75a586c63b4edb0532cb.jpg

1. Sand tiger. Nice one, too!

2. Nurse shark.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

5 hours ago, Al Dente said:

I would label the sand tiger as Carcharias taurus, the same as the modern sand tiger based on the enamel folds on the lingual side and probable Pliocene age. There is a lot of disagreement on identification of Carcharias teeth. Same goes for nurse shark teeth. Similar teeth from the Gainesville area have been identified as Ginglymostoma sp.

Thanks to all who responded,

As I tried to add an identification in my photo of a sand tiger, I ran into that disagreement/confusion. The sand tigers I find tend to be thin bladed, slight, almost fragile. Some one else shows very robust teeth and also calls them sand tigers..

TwoSandsStanding.jpg.7967d16e36572211af9cbe1491add0e6.jpg

On 02/02/2018 at 2:05 AM, Shellseeker said:

So , which shark, which position.... Is this tooth complete???

IMG_0485.jpg.41c0fea16a121d56e2624f5f41123707.jpgIMG_0481.jpg.058203af303a75a586c63b4edb0532cb.jpg

Nebrius is also a Gynglymostomatidae, but I don't know if they lived at the same time. Whole tooth, yes.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I have found several of the Gynglymostomatidae in the Peace.  Hulbert does a good job explaining the difference in his book.  Yours looks like the older Miocene one to me, just based on the number of cusplets. That is a good size one, most just go right thru the screen as you know.

I find the most north of Zolfo when I screen for micros. 

"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life".

20 minutes ago, Coco said:

Nebrius is also a Gynglymostomatidae, but I don't know if they lived at the same time. Whole tooth, yes.

Coco

Thanks,  looked up the current gray nurse shark ( Nebrius ferrugineus ) which has slightly different but basically similar teeth.

xNebrius_ferrugineus_7.jpg.pagespeed_ic.DvvbQeaZ0L.jpg.d9d334c5fa565fe73aff1ba23657fcb1.jpgxNebrius_ferrugineus_8.jpg.pagespeed_ic.Cz9McAbMC8.jpg.bed6378169c310a0f5bc53285184f102.jpg

For the moment I am identifying my find as Gynglymostoma .sp

NurseSharkMergeTxt.thumb.jpg.a07f8b4552d1e02286a20c0f4e886536.jpg

1 minute ago, megaholic said:

I have found several of the Gynglymostomatidae in the Peace.  Hulbert does a good job explaining the difference in his book.  Yours looks like the older Miocene one to me, just based on the number of cusplets. That is a good size one, most just go right thru the screen as you know.

I find the most north of Zolfo when I screen for micros. 

The one I have is 10mm, Fred Mazza's is 3mm. Thank the fossil gods for LARGE size.:D This one was found north of Paynes.

I think this is likely Miocene also... maybe G. delforteiri.  I will have to check with Fred Mazza next time I see him on the river.

Hulbert does a good job explaining the difference in his book. 

His primary book is on mammal vertebrates, not sharks.... Am I missing a reference book?

Hey Jack, Hulbert's book the Fossil Vertebrates of Florida has several chapters in the front on more than just the mammals...Chap 4 Cartilaginous and Bony Fishes has a great deal about shark teeth and has the nurse shark tooth illustrated on page 80. Chap 5 is on Amphibians. Chap 6 Reptilia 1 Turtles and Tortoises, Chap 7 Reptilia 2 Lizards, Snakes and Crocodilians and Chap 7 Reptilia 3 is on Birds. When I first got the book I was in the very back looking for horse teeth ID's and didnt really pay too much attention to the other stuff, but there is alot of other good stuff in there.

Continued hunting success.  

Regards, Chris 

13 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Hey Jack, Hulbert's book the Fossil Vertebrates of Florida has several chapters in the front on more than just the mammals...Chap 4 Cartilaginous and Bony Fishes has a great deal about shark teeth and has the nurse shark tooth illustrated on page 80. Chap 5 is on Amphibians. Chap 6 Reptilia 1 Turtles and Tortoises, Chap 7 Reptilia 2 Lizards, Snakes and Crocodilians and Chap 7 Reptilia 3 is on Birds. When I first got the book I was in the very back looking for horse teeth ID's and didnt really pay too much attention to the other stuff, but there is alot of other good stuff in there.

Continued hunting success.  

Regards, Chris 

:headscratch:Thank you Chris,

I actually went back BEFORE I posted and rippled the pages of his book.. Did not find this....  It is good to have friends to catch me when I fall... I am going to have to read it cover to cover.. This is what I call a CERTAIN identification....

IMG_0533.jpg.db000852a7e401bc0b46551fcc08ab7f.jpg

Sweet tooth, Jack!

I have come across several (much smaller) nurse shark teeth in micro-matrix from the Peace River (and its tributary creeks). Most I've found tend to have really worn cusps and are not in super great shape. Your find is the best one I've seen come from the Peace--and it's a heckuva lot larger to boot. Nurse sharks are one of the most common sharks encountered by divers but they are quite rare for fossil hunters. Spurred on by some excellently photographed finds by Juliana (@oldbones) I made a trip to Gainesville to collect some micro-matrix from the Rattlesnake Creek up there. I was able to find several nice caramel colored specimens with much less wear so the cusps were nice and sharp. I think the relatively large size of your specimen is the reason you were able to save this from disappearing back into the river through your 1/4" screen. This is the first one I've heard of that didn't come from picking micro-matrix. Good eye--sweet find!

Cheers.

-Ken

11 hours ago, digit said:

I think the relatively large size of your specimen is the reason you were able to save this from disappearing back into the river through your 1/4" screen.

On 2/1/2018 at 8:05 PM, Shellseeker said:

Ken,  It was dangling by the tip when I first spotted it ... I tried not to move the sieve as I slipped a hand under the sieve...  it fell .. into my hand.. WHEW!!!!

I am really pleased !!!! Thanks for the information.   Jack

Archived