How do I spot a fake keichousaurus?

Bone guy

3 minutes ago, KrystalKay said:

These to me look immediately fake. They look like carvings and the head is disproportionate. I can see with painting maybe they wouldn't but that is why I did a scraping to test mine. Thanks for sharing these!

The head proportion looks right.  Juvenile had a bigger head.  Look at my specimen.EE139AEE-5575-460D-80D0-763C9FC1870A.thumb.jpeg.c3bda3368328b1dd878799d817ea8c87.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

7 minutes ago, KrystalKay said:

These to me look immediately fake. They look like carvings and the head is disproportionate. I can see with painting maybe they wouldn't but that is why I did a scraping to test mine. Thanks for sharing these!

I agree with our friend Crazyhen! Really the head of a young specimen may seem disproportionate, but it is not! And this here after being painted, can fool anyone, even the most experienced collectors! Because it looks a lot like an unprepared specimen!

image.png.b51b4cdb197fc8d01659a7ee0daa4fac.png

Possibly it was made with a silicone mold of a real specimen. And if resin with shale powder is poured on this silicone mold, dispense paint and you're ready to fool anyone! :o

• I found this Informative 2

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

30 minutes ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

I agree with our friend Crazyhen! Really the head of a young specimen may seem disproportionate, but it is not! And this here after being painted, can fool anyone, even the most experienced collectors! Because it looks a lot like an unprepared specimen!

image.png.b51b4cdb197fc8d01659a7ee0daa4fac.png

Possibly it was made with a silicone mold of a real specimen. And if resin with shale powder is poured on this silicone mold, dispense paint and you're ready to fool anyone! :o

I bet it’s made by a mold of a real specimen 

These are baby keichousaurus, which have over-sized heads. Also they are unprepared. Why do you think the one with the blue background is fake? I assume the other two are casts of the first.

12 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

Although most of the Keichosaurus available for sale are genuine/slightly touched up, I have recently found some very sophisticated made fake Keichosaurus hatchlings.  Look at the photos attached.  It is not easy to tell that they are not genuine.

IMG_4858.JPG

IMG_4857.JPG

I know nothing about such things, but could it be that these are casts of a more or less real fossil? Or did they make one total fake carving and then casts of it?
Franz Bernhard

Honestly it could be either. I can definitely see it being a casting. Either way it isn't an actual fossil.

Edited by KrystalKay

Hum, now i need to give my two cents here too concerning the Baby-Keich:

if you would not know, just from the photo you would not tell, that the "fossil" may be not real.

Reason: everything fits.

Colour and surface of the matrix fits and the Keich too.

As already said, skull is bigger in relation to the body at the babys (not only for Keichs..).

More or less often you'll find distorted skulls like it is here (maybe skulls are softer than that of the adult ones).

So on the first view having only the foto i would think that not much people would see red flags - but you would immediately know if you holding it in your hands...

For sure, the other picture shows the mold... 

I know this isn't a helpful comment but they all look fake to me. Always seem to be in a similar pose....I remember when I took herpetology in school and the professor passed around one of these that was obviously a fake. I didn't have the heart to say anything to him at the time.

7 hours ago, RickNC said:

I know this isn't a helpful comment but they all look fake to me. Always seem to be in a similar pose....I remember when I took herpetology in school and the professor passed around one of these that was obviously a fake. I didn't have the heart to say anything to him at the time.

If they all look fake to you... maybe his one wasn't!