Found Under the Bridge to ID

pendrak

Hi Guys-

I spent hundreds of hours with my kids at all of the cool places looking for fossils, arrowheads, rocks, bugs, snakes, and whatever. This is one of those under the bridge finds that I have not been able to ID. This was found under the bridge in south Tarrant County, TX.

Any ID info appreciated-

z.jpg

Welcome to TFF!

It looks like a piece of a heteromorph ammonite.

Can We see pictures from other angles, just to be sure.

Regards,

Tony

• I found this Informative 3

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Although I could imagine that there are a lot of bridges in south Tarrant County, Texas, I'm pretty sure that you have a partial cretaceous Turrilites heteromorph ammonite there. Welcome to the forum.

• I found this Informative 6

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco! :)

Nice find! 

Yes, it looks like a nice section of Turrilites.

Image result for turrilites

(from Deviant Art). 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

It's hard to tell from just two whorls but the most notable difference between Turrilites and Mariella is the apical angle. It's 23 - 35 degrees for Turrilites and 40 -  50 for Mariella. There are subtle differences in the rows of tubercles too but I have trouble making the distinctions on my samples.

• I found this Informative 5

Whoa @ynot @Ludwigia @Manticocerasman @Tidgy's Dad @BobWill, when I saw this I would've sworn this was a part of a Turritella (or another gastropod) steinkern. I learnt something new, thanks guys!!!

And @pendrak , a warm welcome to The Fossil Forum! :D Congrats on this cool find!

Max

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

4 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

when I saw this I would've sworn this was a part of a Turritella (or another gastropod) steinkern.

I'm sure you are kidding, considering the scale. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

19 hours ago, abyssunder said:

I'm sure you are kidding, considering the scale. :)

Lol I hadn’t even thought of looking at the scale! I gotta agree that that would have been a mighty big Turritella, perhaps one on steroids or something :P

But no, I wasn’t kidding when I said that I thought it was a steinkern, I really thought it was! But it is true that I didn’t look at the scale.

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Hope this isn't considered a high-jack, but rather a contribution :), but I have a similar one that I have labeled Mariella.

@BobWill et al.  Thoughts?

Resized_20180202_114529.thumb.jpeg.7ad6686aa06586aae82c2ba09ba952b2.jpeg