I am definitely an amateur when it comes to collecting and need some advice: I recently purchased my first 'larger' Spinosaurus tooth from a small gem/fossil shop in Seattle. The owner told me that it had no repairs or restorations, and that it of course came from Morocco. I tested the tooth under a UV flashlight and there were no anomalies, but I just wanted some more experienced opinions. The enamel looks good- no apparent cracks or suspicious color variations, root still has some of the matrix on it, but the tip seems a little suspicious to me... maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I have read so much about fake fossils and just want to be sure! Let me know what you guys think- Thanks!

IMG_2957.JPG

IMG_2958.JPG

IMG_2960.JPG

IMG_2961.JPG

IMG_2962.JPG

IMG_2964.JPG

IMG_2965.JPG

IMG_2966.JPG

IMG_2967.JPG

I don't know much about Spinosaur teeth .. but I'd say the tooth is real and that tip is a creative reconstruction made of matrix.  It probably can be removed without too much trouble.  Fake is always such a loaded word.  It has been cleaned up and some 'improvements' added. ;)

Cheers,

B

Yup real.

That's a nice fat short one too. Don't see too many of those. But yeah it's a little difficult to tell how much, but it does look like a small bit of the tip was reconstructed. It's such a small part I would just leave it as is though.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

A tooth with a slightly worn down tip is a sign of usage, meaning this tooth probably crunched a few bones in its day. I look at it as a good thing!

The seller probably is correct in that he did not do any work but that does not mean it was not tampered with in Morocco.  Anytime you see sand/matrix glued to specific areas it's a red flag especially with morrocan fossils.   Like the others have said the sand/glue mix at the top is there to hide something a possible break or damaged tip.  If it was just worn the Morrocans would not have touched it.  The other area is the root.  I doubt there is much there and most will be that sand mix, why it's there.  Unless it's cleaned up you really don't know what you have.   

8 hours ago, Troodon said:

The other area is the root.  I doubt there is much there and most will be that sand mix, why it's there.  Unless it's cleaned up you really don't know what you have.   

I disagree. I think that part is 100% natural. There are areas where the white of the root base are poking out. Yes there is lots of matrix on here, but that doesn't mean it's been added artificially.

1 hour ago, LordTrilobite said:

I disagree. I think that part is 100% natural. There are areas where the white of the root base are poking out. Yes there is lots of matrix on here, but that doesn't mean it's been added artificially.

Did not mean to imply the root was added but that the matrix was added to hide a very beat up one, why else is it completely covered 

are there common chemical compounds that can dissolve the glue used to repair a tooth like this without hurting the real tooth/enamel? something like acetone or rubbing alcohol, etc... 

Whether it dissolves any glue depends on what glue is used. I've once soaked a Kem Kem bone overnight in acetone. And the bone sustained a little bit of damage, as some cracks appeared. Otherwise that fossil is still in one piece. Though in that case, sadly it also didn't really dissolve the glue.

But I'd say that if you try it out in small doses you likely won't damage the fossil. You can try on a localised spot and see if acetone makes any glue a bit softer so you can remove it mechanically.

I don't think the matrix was added onto the root though. I think it's all natural. And any glue on it is likely just for stability.

In my opinion the tip of the tooth has been reconstituted, but the matrix that fills the root is completely natural. I do not recommend using chemicals when there is a suspicion of being a natural matrix. In this case, I recommend patiently cleaning with a pointed object. In my case here in my preparation laboratory, among other instruments, I also use dental material:

image.png.a6187c515a606304807f8f54a0169ab5.png

If you do not have materials like this, you can also try using a nail or any other sharp material, which you will certainly be able to remove if the matrix is true.

See an example of this in this fossil that is deposited in my private collection, which like its spinosaurid tooth, this fossil was also discovered in Kem Kem, make a comparison, before dirty, covered with matrix and how it was after cleaning:

image.thumb.png.0ba2282c10e0bb12c319a2bf3cb8effb.png

Note: In this fossil I did not use chemical preparation, only mechanical preparation.

Good luck! :fingerscrossed:

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Besides the tip being filled in with sand, there's something very off about the root. I am leaning towards much of the root being reconstituted with sand.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

OK here are my thoughts on this the tip is yes reconstructed and on one side there is red matrix which is a red clay like substance not found in the same layer as the medium corse  yellow sandstone, so it is my belief that something is wrong with the root maybe one side has had some patch work, and with this I add that there are some parts of the root showing nearst the crown my recommendation is to clean it mechanically with dental picks if this matrix seems to hard to be removed with I would recommend using acetone see if this helps as there maybe some glue in this spot.

On 04/02/2018 at 8:28 PM, LordTrilobite said:

Whether it dissolves any glue depends on what glue is used. I've once soaked a Kem Kem bone overnight in acetone. And the bone sustained a little bit of damage, as some cracks appeared. Otherwise that fossil is still in one piece. Though in that case, sadly it also didn't really dissolve the glue.

But I'd say that if you try it out in small doses you likely won't damage the fossil. You can try on a localised spot and see if acetone makes any glue a bit softer so you can remove it mechanically.

I don't think the matrix was added onto the root though. I think it's all natural. And any glue on it is likely just for stability.

I’ve not found a solvent that works. I’ve tried diethyl ether, dichloromethane, acetone, ethanol. Goodness knows what they use over there. A smart Moroccan could make a killing if they sold an effective solvent. Actually someone in the UK possibility could as well..... :muahaha:

I have used a 99.7 percent chemical grade acetone that seems to work well for me it cleaned up two spinosaur ribs however I will add that at points I had to use a dental pick while it was in the acetone solution.

Archived