Jacksonville Shark Teeth

marinematt18

Hey everyone so I'm new to finding shark teeth and while I am pretty confident in most of the teeth I found but I would like more experienced opinions. So have at it and anything you can help ID would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

Edited by marinematt18
grammer

@marinematt18 your pics appear elongated and distorted. While I can identify some teeth it it difficult to identify others. Could you try and take some different pics?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

You definitely have atleast two sandtigers and a shard from a possible meg or great white.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

The 2nd picture is a Tiger Shark and a Great White fragment (Megs are exceedingly rare and GWs more common in Jax) plus I see no bourlette.

The top tooth in the first photo is an upper Hemipristis. Below and to the left might be a lower Hemipristis or a Sand Tiger ( Carcharias taurus , many variations but this is the most likely in your location).  The tooth on the far right is a Sand Tiger. I see a number of dusky or bull shark teeth... they can be hard to distinguish from each other.

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

22 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

The 2nd picture is a Tiger Shark and a Great White fragment (Megs are exceedingly rare and GWs more common in Jax) plus I see no bourlette.

The top tooth in the first photo is an upper Hemipristis. Below and to the left might be a lower Hemipristis or a Sand Tiger ( Carcharias taurus , many variations but this is the most likely in your location).  The tooth on the far right is a Sand Tiger. I see a number of dusky or bull shark teeth... they can be hard to distinguish from each other.

I was 99% sure the 2nd was a tiger and white shark, but that's why I posted it so thanks for confirming that. Also, I was thinking the top one was a hemi, but I am new to this and study only extant sharks so I'm definitely no expert on extinct sharks so again thanks. The main teeth I have no clue are in the top photo, to the bottom left (the triangular ones. In my opinion they are too small and too beefy to be from a white, also too small to be a meg, so what other sharks have triangular teeth like that? I can take better photos of those if anyone would like a different angle or better lighting. Darktooth-I don't think the pics are distorted at all comparing them to the actual teeth. However, a lot of the teeth are just shards and I am not expecting anyone to identify those. The main teeth I wanted help with was the second photo, the top tooth, the two teeth (first photo) that have the light brown root in the lower right, and then the two triangular in the lower left. Again I can take close up photos if need be of more individual teeth.--Quick side note how common is it to find stingray barbs in Jacksonville?

Need better pictures of the teeth.

Most likely bull or dusky shark teeth.

7 minutes ago, marinematt18 said:

the two teeth (first photo) that have the light brown root in the lower right, and then the two triangular in the lower left. Again I can take close up photos if need be of more individual teeth.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

These are all the teeth I'm not sure of currently and most interested in

Some of these are the two in the original picture lower right and lower left the rest I found yesterday

I tried taking a better picture but anyone can take a shot at all or some of the teeth and I would be grateful

No automatic alt text available.

Most look like Carcharhinus sp., (bull, dusky, etc.), but it is hard to tell the difference of these teeth.

Not sure about the top left one.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

11 hours ago, marinematt18 said:

These are all the teeth I'm not sure of currently and most interested in

Some of these are the two in the original picture lower right and lower left the rest I found yesterday

I tried taking a better picture but anyone can take a shot at all or some of the teeth and I would be grateful

You should go to this site: http://www.elasmo.com/frameMe.html?file=heim/leecreek/lc-carch_large.html&menu=bin/menu_topics-alt.htmlc You face the same difficulty we all do. It is almost impossible to differentiate between Dusky and Bull shark teeth. The 4 on the left are guaranteed to be Dusky/Bull (Bull on upper left) and very likely upper right due to indentation on one edge or the other. These teeth look very similar to small/tiny Megs also.  You have to have experience with finding a lot of small penny size Megs to recognizes the difference.

image.png.a6e42856be6ef8a7bc1df235e1d60587.png

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"