Psittacosaurus Prep

Ptychodus04

Here’s the prep thread for the juvenile Psittacosaurus that was discussed in the “Is It Real” section. This is very real although relatively poorly prepared originally. There’s a significant fracture running the length of the matrix just below the plane of the specimen. There are parts that are filled with some rather degraded glue, probably old epoxy. I’m glad I got this when I did as the glue holding much of it together is severely degraded.

Here’s the little guy as I received it.

0C3C6D8A-8975-4883-8CFE-27D36663E3D7.thumb.jpeg.12c1fdc30915be43cb3c7197a136b9b7.jpeg

First order of business was to stabilize all exposed bones and cracks with PVA. Then I started removing matrix around the tail. This is after only 1 hour. Already a big improvement.

8EFF3FC1-B197-402E-81F7-C568A22F22F5.thumb.jpeg.dd2a8bb5c7859cfd541e2364e3a278c5.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

Great work so far! Let's keep it going!:popcorn:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

What a difference after just a short time.  Not surprised about the glue they showed the Morrocans how to do it.  :) Matrix soft, hard or spongy?

I can tell this is gonna turn out amazing, keep working your magic!:popcorn:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Ok Kris, we expect that thing to be able to get up and walk when you are through with it.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Like night and day, Kris. :dinothumb:

How much popcorn should I buy while this is getting its continued master treatment? Asking for a friend. :D 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

42 minutes ago, Troodon said:

What a difference after just a short time.  Not surprised about the glue they showed the Morrocans how to do it.  :) Matrix soft, hard or spongy?

The matrix is a medium hard sandstone. It is extremely brittle around the cracks but otherwise it is pretty well cemented.

3 minutes ago, Kane said:

Like night and day, Kris. :dinothumb:

How much popcorn should I buy while this is getting its continued master treatment? Asking for a friend. :D 

I think you’ll only need a couple bags. This one should go pretty quickly.

Looks like a great project. It's a slab of natural matrix, containing the fossil; that is affixed to another slab o' rock???

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

16 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

Looks like a great project. It's a slab of natural matrix, containing the fossil; that is affixed to another slab o' rock???

Looks like natural matrix so far. The original preparators ground it down a lot an made it very smooth to make it look “better”.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Looks like a really fun project.  How big is this intire specimen?  and did you buy this or prepping it for a customer? 

RB

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Looks like a really fun project.  How big is this intire specimen?  and did you buy this or prepping it for a customer? 

RB

The whole thing is about 15” long. 

This is is a prep for a client. I’m not that lucky!

I put a couple more hours into this little guy this afternoon. It needs a ton of stabilization but is coming along nicely. At this point, I’m pretty indiscriminate about where I’m soaking with PVA. I’ll abraide the matrix to remove the surface PVA.

Other than stabilization, a lot of what I’m doing is removing tool marks and cleaning up around the bones. There’s a ton of matrix in between and on the bones.

12350131-5147-4256-9E68-FF7C2EF477CC.thumb.jpeg.b150900a10315c3a881478bf4d943342.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Very , very interesting, and what a beautiful specimen to work on. 

Tremendous. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Hmm, the way it's positioned, it's going to be a booger getting the kilt over those legs. Good luck to ya!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

5 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Hmm, the way it's positioned, it's going to be a booger getting the kilt over those legs. Good luck to ya!

:rofl: 

I guess I’ll have to remove all of the bones and mount it then. :D

That is a stunning fossil and an the prep so far is fantastic.  Sorry to hear you are not the lucky owner.

I really enjoy the before and progress pictures to these preps. Wish I was that good. But I am learning from all of you.

Thanks for posting the work and updates.

I’m 8 hours into the prep and most of the scribe work is done. I just finished giving the whole slab a PVA bath in order to fully stabilize it. 

Next, I’ll begin abrasive work to remove residual matrix from the bones as well as tool marks from the matrix. 

5A046C6B-7E46-4105-985C-FF5769623FB8.thumb.jpeg.f96d2c9bd40fc3f1ea73a647c7f15f80.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

That abrasive work should make it 'pop'.   and I dont mean to be picky, but the way they smoothed out the rock around the edges is awful.  Just my oppinion. 

RB