Dinosaur tooth shenanigans

Aurelius

I found this amazing dinosaur tooth for sale on a well-known auction site. Except that, well, anyone can see that it's a damaged shark tooth.

s-l500.jpg.7089c701f76b4cc7c6df3060b4a55481.jpg

Well, I couldn't resist. This was my correspondence with the seller. Bad spelling and grammar are his.

Me: This is a shark tooth, not a dinosaur tooth.

Seller: I was told it’s a Dinosaur tooth buy an expert if your saying it’s a Sharks tooth thats fine. I respect your opinion

Me:  I'm afraid it's not my opinion, it's a fact. There isn't an expert in the world who would tell you that's a dinosaur tooth, so whoever told you that is not very knowledgeable.

Seller: That’s fine your entitled to share your own opinion.

I must say, I'm very glad that he respects my opinion. I put great stock in the value of my opinions. And whilst I know the 'expert' probably doesn't exist, I would dearly love to meet an expert who thought this was a dinosaur tooth, although my autonomic facial-slap reflex could very easily be triggered.

• I found this Informative 5

Goodness! 

But I suppose there are an awful lot of people in the world who wouldn't know. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I have to agree with the seller, it is a VERY RARE "shark-o-saraus"':ninja:

It's a new species of dinosaur that I just discovered.:P

:hearty-laugh:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I’m honestly appalled you would ever challenge the opinion of an expert, have you ever even seen a dinosaur skull?! This is obviously a dinosaur tooth.

9CD4F38C-1835-4C4D-80CD-0D083A68AC8C.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

The reality of it is that there are tons of individuals who are clueless about teeth..   I'm not surprised about this seller.   Hey just look how many rocks are sold as teeth at least this seller got the tooth portion correct.

16 minutes ago, Troodon said:

The reality of it is that there are tons of individuals who are clueless about teeth..   I'm not surprised about this seller.   Hey just look how many rocks are sold as teeth at least this seller got the tooth portion correct.

I agree. I don't mind someone being clueless - but I do care when someone is selling something and doesn't care that they may be misleading people.

As tempting as it is to set these unscrupulous sellers to rights, they seem immune to shame and integrity. We may as well try to stop telemarketers, spammers, and the sellers of quack remedies, purveyors of "miracle" diet pills, and shovel against the tide. :( 

The only solution is pretty much right here: a science-based forum dedicated to sharing knowledge.  Even if the auction sites could crack down on the bad folks, they'd simply find another way. We can only hope that more people do their homework before plunking down their hard earned dosh on fake or mis-represented material. Caveat emptor. Thankfully, a forum such as ours gets a lot of traffic - even from non-members who chance upon our "is it real" threads from search engine results.

In a way, instead of fighting the pirates on the rough, open seas of the auction sites, we function as a bright and shining lighthouse of knowledge to help others steer a safer, more trustworthy course. :) 

• I found this Informative 6

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 hours ago, Kane said:

In a way, instead of fighting the pirates on the rough, open seas of the auction sites, we function as a bright and shining lighthouse of knowledge to help others steer a safer, more trustworthy course. :) 

Yes, and if you'd like to see a flurry of rock posts every week you can visit the Facebook page ....... haha

Moth.jpg.5d04e58449da9c8160886d6643069b43.jpg

2 minutes ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Yes, and if you'd like to see a flurry of rock posts every week you can visit the Facebook page ....... haha

Facebook? Hic sunt dracones... :D:P

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 minutes ago, Kane said:

Facebook? Hic sunt dracones... :D:P

haha .. Indeed.  :rofl:

Dragon.thumb.jpg.a4da8c7ae0a6b2ad42a17d6d9beb0203.jpg

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Dinosaur tooth shenanigans
2 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

I think the Facebook page is mostly random rock posts, about 50% of which are very strongly defended as dinosaur skulls or limb bones. I think there is a subset of the mildly interested layperson community who think that fossil collectors are absolute idiots, and they only show up on the Facebook group to lord their amazing rocks over us.

1 minute ago, Aurelius said:

I think the Facebook page is mostly random rock posts, about 50% of which are very strongly defended as dinosaur skulls or limb bones. I think there is a subset of the mildly interested layperson community who think that fossil collectors are absolute idiots, and they only show up on the Facebook group to lord their amazing rocks over us.

Yes, I learned very quickly that I would in fact not learn very much by following the posts there on FB.  At least here we have a sense of community and respect for one another's opinions and a willingness at least to be open to learning something new. 

Otherwise .. anyone attempting to troll this site will quickly learn that the admin's precious time and patience are on equal measure and that their sails will find no purchase here.

B

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

@WhodamanHD   That is hilarious. :hearty-laugh:

Amazing what you can do with 10 minutes and an iphone:D

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

4 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Hi, Mooz! :)

Hi, Adam!!! 

Loved your posts on the fossil thread at TFO! :)

3 minutes ago, Moozillion said:

Hi, Adam!!! 

Loved your posts on the fossil thread at TFO! :)

Thanks, Bea, will catch up tomorrow, off to bed now! 

Nos da! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png