Got two interesting ones

Bone guy

So I've had these two pieces for ages, but I know nothing about them. The first one is a gastropod but I can't figure out what made that crack in the shell? The second one seems like a piece of bone because its porous but I'm not sure. 

IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0710.JPG

The second could be bone but not sure (I realize now all three possible answers have been put forward) see if you can rinse the mud off it. The shell could have fractured from any number of things, something stepping on it, something trying to eat it, if it’s a fossil simple erosion may have done it.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

see if you can rinse the mud off it.

If that does rinse off I'd reconsider, but I'm betting against it. :)

A look at the other side would also be helpful.

27 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

If that does rinse off I'd reconsider, but I'm betting against it. :)

A look at the other side would also be helpful.

Me too, but I don’t want to jump to conclusions just yet.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

The first one is probably a turritellid gastropod and it is cracked due to the geological stresses.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library