Fake mosasaurs?

Bone guy

So I found this skull and I'd love to maybe get something like this in the future, I could possibly do prep work to make it look better. But is it real? I can't tell. All I know about it is it's from morocco. 

IMG_0711.PNG

IMG_0712.PNG

IMG_0713.PNG

IMG_0714.PNG

IMG_0715.PNG

I would steer clear of this one. The skull looks like carved stone, and the teeth are kind of haphazardly cemented in.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Looks to me as if all the teeth have been cemented in. 

And there seem to be too many of them sticking out at all sorts of peculiar angles. 

I don't think any of the bone is real. 

The teeth probably are real but just stuck in. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 minutes ago, Kane said:

I would steer clear of this one. The skull looks like carved stone, and the teeth are kind of haphazardly cemented in.

Darn, beat me to it! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 minutes ago, Bone guy said:

That's a bummer

Aye, but saved you a bit of cash for when a real one comes up. ;) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Lots of plaster and glue. They seem to have made something resembling a crocodile skull, while the teeth are definitely mosasaur.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

28 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I sincerely apologize for the naughtiness of my countrymen. 

Once a Brit, always a Brit...I always say.

So many fakes out there!  I took along my #10 opti-visor with me to the Quartzite show.  Checked out any and all moso jaws I could find.  Even though some of them were purty good lookin composits, i only found one real one, but too big to bring home. 

RB

31 minutes ago, RJB said:

So many fakes out there!  I took along my #10 opti-visor with me to the Quartzite show.  Checked out any and all moso jaws I could find.  Even though some of them were purty good lookin composits, i only found one real one, but too big to bring home. 

RB

Already missing your Christmas jaws? haha

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

At least the teeth are real and beautiful! The rest is purely a work of art! :popcorn:

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

1 hour ago, JohnBrewer said:

I disown him. He’s got a Fez! ;)

So did Tommy Cooper! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

23 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I sincerely apologize for the naughtiness of my countrymen. 

I think it's hard to judge if there is evil here. I have seen honest traders, who in the act of selling explain to the client that it is merely a composition, that is, some true fossils allied with human sculpture. And I have seen these buyers reselling the "specimen" as if they were authentic, and they themselves know that they are not authentic because they have been advised by the dealers. This may not be the case here, but I have often seen this happen.

03.PNG

2 minutes ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

I think it's hard to judge if there is evil here. I have seen honest traders, who in the act of selling explain to the client that it is merely a composition, that is, some true fossils allied with human sculpture. And I have seen these buyers reselling the "specimen" as if they were authentic, and they themselves know that they are not authentic because they have been advised by the dealers. This may not be the case here, but I have often seen this happen.

You are right. 

I was jesting, some dealers are honest, some dishonest and some simply ignorant, they are not aware of what they are selling and have bought it themselves in good faith. 

same everywhere, i guess.

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

24 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

You are right. 

I was jesting, some dealers are honest, some dishonest and some simply ignorant, they are not aware of what they are selling and have bought it themselves in good faith. 

same everywhere, i guess.

True! There are good dealers, and cheating dealers, both in Morocco, and in China, as in the United States, as anywhere else in the world. In a world like this we live in, the best way to save your money is by investing in the knowledge of what you want to acquire.

03.PNG

7 minutes ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

True! There are good dealers, and cheating dealers, both in Morocco, and in China, as in the United States, as anywhere else in the world. In a world like this we live in, the best way to save your money is by investing in the knowledge of what you want to acquire.

Hear hear! 

And by using the Forum of course! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

Archived