Dino vertebra? North Dakota

John S.

A co-worker just handed me this bone and picture. Wanted to know about it. Found in North Dakota. Thanks!

*more info, from western N Dakota Hell Creek formation. Skull around 3 feet

EDAD3D82-5D29-4F4D-8806-081A1453533B.jpeg

B3A80B38-58E9-4CE9-B548-6F432EACD9FB.jpeg

D1EE338B-F4EC-4F74-AE64-7AA89BDD902D.jpeg

7724D181-0F5A-4A93-9F3F-5EBF4C63185F.jpeg

North Central Texas

Eagle Ford Group / Ozan Formation

3 minutes ago, old bones said:

Nice scale... so, is that 22 centimeters then?

Umm not sure his dad found this

North Central Texas

Can you be more specific as to where it was found.  Just a few areas east of the Missouri river and its not very well preserved

Looks more mammal to me than dinosaur, couldn’t say what mammal though. I’m sure someone more familiar with the area will come along and help, however, as previously stated, it is pretty worn.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Just got some more info. He says it’s more western N Dakota and in Hell Creek Formation. Skull in pic around 3 feet long

North Central Texas

I'm sorry, what skull are we talking about? I don't see a skull in a picture. Is it that light colored thing behind the gun?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Can you take a picture of the thin side and one similiar to the one that says May 2017 without fingers.  No obtuse angle please straight in shots. 

5 hours ago, caldigger said:

I'm sorry, what skull are we talking about? I don't see a skull in a picture. Is it that light colored thing behind the gun?

I’m only going by what he told me. Far SW N Dakota. He thinks that is a fractured skull behind the gun yes. 

1DC6375C-927F-4E3C-AED3-4484549AAA77.jpeg

45CF1C2C-D593-4ADE-B80A-F8DF2E666401.jpeg

North Central Texas

I was leaning toward possible Ceratopsian vert but that last picture with the hole in the center and overall shape has me stumped

Could be a very weathered Ceratopsian (Triceratops) skull in that picture.   Outlined a nasal horn (in red) with frill material behind it.  Difficult to say.

EDAD3D82-5D29-4F4D-8806-081A1453533B.thumb.jpeg.db7166a03b76c6eec32ad124d9a8b134.jpg.cd24a4b84bca686828486ef05b096fd1.jpg

Thanks for the help! He is appreciating the feedback!

North Central Texas

I also saw a ceratopsian nasal horn behind the gun.  But keep in mind that this is only an educated guess from one photo.  I am not going to bet any money on it, but the vert looks possibly ceratopsian as well.