Unidentified Tooth

Austin Wash

Hello again! This post is going to lack detail for the most part, because I don't have much to give. All we really know about this piece is that my mother found it in the water at Westmoreland State Park, Virginia. At first glance it looked like it could just be the tooth from a cow or horse, but the shapes didn't seem to match, and the piece looks rather too old to be from something recently deceased. The last image is an extreme close up with a digital microscope, and gives a good glimpse of the texture, which is more rock-like now than tooth-like.

Anyway, again, I'm not an expert, which is also why I've had to give up trying to identify it myself. If anyone has any input to provide, I'd greatly appreciate it! It will help put to rest constant discussion in the family about whether this piece is cool or totally nothing.

IMG_2972.jpg

IMG_2973.jpg

IMG_2974.jpg

IMG_2975.jpg

IMG_2976.jpg

IMG_2977.jpg

IMG_2978.jpg

IMG_2979.jpg

Just now, Tidgy's Dad said:

Horses tooth from near the rear of the jaw, I think.

just posted my post, when i look at it, horse seem more plausible

21 minutes ago, Spinosaurus said:

just posted my post, when i look at it, horse seem more plausible

Not so fast! Do a burn test (put it to a flame if it smells like burnt hair it’s not a fossil), teleoceras is a possibility at Westmoreland (I think I’m no mammal tooth expert).

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

8 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Not so fast! Do a burn test (put it to a flame if it smells like burnt hair it’s not a fossil), teloceras is a possibility at Westmoreland (I think I’m no mammal tooth expert).

You mean Teleoceras, the rhino? 

I don't know this species at all, but I still think horse. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

You mean Teleoceras, the rhino? 

I don't know this species at all, but I still think horse. 

Yes, As I say I’m no expert in the rhino or horse teeth but rhinos are found from time to time. Anyway, a burn test is always good to do.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Looks like partial horse tooth to me as well:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

I agree -- it's a horse upper with advanced wear.  Which horse depends on the age of the deposits at Westmoreland Park.  It may be a deciduous tooth, judging by the way the roots are smoothly hollowed from the inside toward the exterior.  That's how the deciduous teeth are replaced by the permanent teeth.

horse_decid_upper_molars.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

17 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

depends on the age of the deposits

Miocene- Pliocene I believe

Happy hunting,

Mason