annaapple11

Location/searching peace river first time

annaapple11

Hello!

We will be traveling to cocoa beach and driving to Tampa then making a stop in Venice beach starting next Saturday. I have been reading information on searching the peace river and this will be our first time. I want to make sure we do this right, does anyone have any advice or guidance? We do not have any equipment but will go buy some and are willing to. I did look up the river water level and currently it is 12in under, which I read is good for fossil gathering. We have our fossil permits for Florida. 

I have talked to my club up here in Michigan and oddly enough not too many people have gone collecting in Florida. 

Also, are there any good spots along the river we can go to or any good spots in Florida you'd recommend? We are only looking for personal small collection and arnt looking to widespread the information or locations. And it might be a long stretch but is there anywhere we might get lucky with agatized coral?

As well, does anyone have any opinions on Rucks pit in Okeechobee? Have heard mixed reviews and that most is picked over...

Any information will be super appreciated! 

Thank you, 

Anna-marie 

WhodamanHD

I’ve heard about Arcadia, don’t know anything about it though. You have a chance of finding a few small teeth among other things at the Mulberry phosphate Museum (the phosphate mine dumps a load of sand/gravel in front of it to search through), I have heard of kids pulling out megs.

Sacha

Anna-Marie, what is your schedule and how many people are in your group?

It started to rain this afternoon and will continue tonight. Keep an eye on the gages in case you need to change your plans at the last minute.

The Withlacoochee is out of the question for agatized coral now, and I don't know any other places in south central Florida that are still productive.

annaapple11

We will be in florida February 10th thru the 17th and were just taking it easy so we are very flexible! It would be only the 2 of us 

Herb

get some strainers and dip out any dark pebblely holes you can see, under large rocks and trees trunks even in the areas around Arcadia Park you can usually find some teeth

Sacha
5 hours ago, annaapple11 said:

We will be in florida February 10th thru the 17th and were just taking it easy so we are very flexible! It would be only the 2 of us 

I could take the 2 of you on a Peace River trip out of Zolfo Springs or Wauchula on the 13th or 14th weather and river permitting. We would be going upstream in kayaks against the current to start out which can be pretty physically demanding and digging in pretty cold water. If this sounds like something you want to try, let me know and we'll work out the details. I have all the tools you will need.

Shellseeker
4 hours ago, Sacha said:

I could take the 2 of you on a Peace River trip out of Zolfo Springs or Wauchula on the 13th or 14th weather and river permitting. We would be going upstream in kayaks against the current to start out which can be pretty physically demanding and digging in pretty cold water. If this sounds like something you want to try, let me know and we'll work out the details. I have all the tools you will need.

:goodjob:You are one of the treasures of TFF, John.

Anna-marie, It does not get any better.  An experienced Peace River hunter offers to take you along on one of his hunting trips.

Sacha

Thanks for the compliment Jack, but you haven't seen the poor results I've been getting the last couple months. Been hoping to see you out there! Hope you're better after the flu.

jcbshark

I too would like to vouch for John being one of the outstanding members on here. :fistbump: I also have some equipt I could loan you while you're in town if you like. I live about 10 minutes from Venice beach

annaapple11

That would be really amazing, John! We could do the 13th if the weather permits! I hope it won't be an inconvenience for us to join ! Just let me know what you need from us!

Sacha

W

2 minutes ago, annaapple11 said:

That would be really amazing, John! We could do the 13th if the weather permits! I hope it won't be an inconvenience for us to join ! Just let me know what you need from us!

We'll plan on the 13th and as we get a little closer to that date I'll send you a private message so we can agree on start times, how long we'll dig, etc. In the mean time, go to youtube and search for 3 or 4 clips under fossilhunterstvshow. We'll be doing the screen sifting....not the snorkeling or diving.

If anyone else is interested, come along.

annaapple11

Thank you so much! We will review the clips on our way to Florida! And I'll await your message!

Cam28

Apollo Beach has some average teeth idk for sure how much the renourishment/ new barriers affected them being washed in.. but yeah John is great & Peace River is the prime spot even if you don't find the ultimate honey hole, especially for newcomers 

digit
On 2/4/2018 at 2:59 PM, annaapple11 said:

As well, does anyone have any opinions on Rucks pit in Okeechobee? Have heard mixed reviews and that most is picked over...

Regarding Ruck's Pit (now Fort Drum Crystal Mine). I'd give it a skip. If you want to know more about why I'd bypass this, send me a PM.

Cheers.

-Ken

Sacha

So Anna, Michael and I got out to the Peace on a very nice warm day to do a little digging and allot of paddling. I did a pretty poor job of guiding since we mainly wound up with small teeth although Anna found a couple things to break the monotony. 

DSCF1522.thumb.jpg.cf023a4a308faee42fd0bb9a83bae77a.jpg

This was my take for the day after allot of digging with the 1/4 inch screen for a change. I thought that I must be missing all the good little stuff with my 1/2 inch screen, but I guess I don't really need to worry about it.

DSCF1526.thumb.jpg.0c9634abb93845c8d7968defa181bdfe.jpg

It was a nice day out, regardless of the finds and it was good to feel the water warming up after a couple weeks of unseasonable low temps.

CBOB

I'd love me some Peace River right about now.  Single digit temps and over a foot of snow.  

jcbshark

It’s been a fairly tough season for a lot of us diggers with the rains we’ve had not letting the rivers drop so much, is that a GW tooth to the lower left side of the quarter ? 

Sacha
1 hour ago, jcbshark said:

It’s been a fairly tough season for a lot of us diggers with the rains we’ve had not letting the rivers drop so much, is that a GW tooth to the lower left side of the quarter ? 

No Jeff, just the broken blade of a hemi I think.

jcbshark
4 hours ago, Sacha said:

No Jeff, just the broken blade of a hemi I think.

Thanks John, hard to tell on my phone:wacko:

digit

John,

Glad you were able to take Anna and Michael out. Both you and Jeff really have been a great Florida TFF welcoming committee. It's been a bit of a rough season so far. Tammy and I were out a couple of weekends ago and we froze out keisters off even with our new chest waders. Actually, Tammy (being of higher intelligence and lesser stubbornness) spent more time sitting in the canoe sipping hot tea and watching me complain about high water levels and numb fingers. Glad to hear things are warming up. One of my favorite spots was still too high to get to when we were there. I walked out on tippy-toes only to have the water level get within inches of the top of my waders threatening to drench me with any misstep. It caused me to move away from tiny area I usually hunt and try to locate something shallower. Turns out the surrounding area, which was always just sandy, now proved crunchy to my probe. I'm thinking either new gravel was distributed more widely or a buried gravel pile under a deep cover of sand was newly exposed by the raging river post Hurricane Irene. Possibly a slim silver lining to that devastating weather event.

Love to see photos of what Anna and Michael found in their screens.

Cheers.

-Ken

Shellseeker
On 2/14/2018 at 8:16 AM, Sacha said:

So Anna, Michael and I got out to the Peace on a very nice warm day to do a little digging and allot of paddling. I did a pretty poor job of guiding since we mainly wound up with small teeth although Anna found a couple things to break the monotony. 

This was my take for the day after allot of digging with the 1/4 inch screen for a change. I thought that I must be missing all the good little stuff with my 1/2 inch screen, but I guess I don't really need to worry about it.

It was a nice day out, regardless of the finds and it was good to feel the water warming up after a couple weeks of unseasonable low temps.

Great picture of Anna and Michael and of the Peace River... Maybe because I have so many good memories, I feel that photos of the Peace are more beautiful than it actually is.... I think I know that spot.... been there.

Sacha
27 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Maybe because I have so many good memories, I feel that photos of the Peace are more beautiful than it actually is.... I think I know that spot.... been there.

Jack, you've been to them all!

annaapple11
On 2/14/2018 at 8:16 AM, Sacha said:

DSCF1526.thumb.jpg.0c9634abb93845c8d7968defa181bdfe.jpg

I never saw this , John! Thank you so much for getting pictures of us!