NJ Cretaceous streams tooth id

brad hinkelman

Hello, 

Even though it looks worn, it does not resemble a reptile tooth for sure. I think you have the tip of an Enchodus palatine. On the sixth photo you can see a small hole at the narrower end of the fossil. That would be where the rest of the palatine fang would grow out of. The other end resembles a Croc/Plesiosaur tooth base, but it seems like just an unusual wear pattern.

• I found this Informative 1

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

25 minutes ago, josephstrizhak said:

Hello, 

Even though it looks worn, it does not resemble a reptile tooth for sure. I think you have the tip of an Enchodus palatine. On the sixth photo you can see a small hole at the narrower end of the fossil. That would be where the rest of the palatine fang would grow out of. The other end resembles a Croc/Plesiosaur tooth base, but it seems like just an unusual wear pattern.

having hard time getting good enough pictures with lighting....diffently worn.....not sure about hole....looks like peeled off,chipped.....here are a few more

pictures

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

t3.jpg

t4.jpg

t5.jpg

t6.jpg

It's definitely not a croc tooth. A croc would not have a hole at the tip (since this one has a hole at the tip, it means that there is a channel running lengthwise through the specimen; croc teeth do not have this feature); it would also taper to a sharp point.

• I found this Informative 2

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

It appears to be a Sawfish ( Ischyrhiza mira).... if it has a tiny hole at the tip  ...Here are some photos of some of mine that was split in half. 

post-2085-0-43977700-1437346754.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

This does not resemble a sawfish rostral blade. They are not circular like this specimen; they are much flatter. They are also not bent like this object is. Also, a sawfish blade consists almost entirely of enamel, so you should expect to see at least a little bit of enamel left over even after a lot of wear.

3 hours ago, njfossilhunter said:

It appears to be a Sawfish ( Ischyrhiza mira).... if it has a tiny hole at the tip  ...Here are some photos of some of mine that was split in half. 

post-2085-0-43977700-1437346754.jpg

maybe just the broken and worn base, yes

48 minutes ago, Plax said:

maybe just the broken and worn base, yes

I'm thinking just about the same thing ...his is missing the base where it attach to the rostrum 

Here is a picture of a broken one missing the tip I got off the internet. And Brad's is missing the enamel 

saw7.jpg

Tony

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

2 hours ago, josephstrizhak said:

This does not resemble a sawfish rostral blade. They are not circular like this specimen; they are much flatter. They are also not bent like this object is. Also, a sawfish blade consists almost entirely of enamel, so you should expect to see at least a little bit of enamel left over even after a lot of wear.

I seen them very rounded in large ones that have smaller tips like the one pictured below

sawfish_large_web.JPG

Tony

I agree John except that I think it has been in the gravel for a while. Also it is only a rounded (formerly squarish) base without the enamel portion which is blade like. Keep in mind that I'm guessing also!