Nateseese

Lansing or Grand Rapids best public hunts?

Nateseese

I'm looking for the best, easily accessible, and public places to hunt fossils in Michigan. I used to go hunting with my uncle in New Jersey, and would like to get back into it here in my home towns! Anywhere 1 hour or so around these towns is fair game. I would love to find a place where I can hunt with a good friend of mine, and indulge in some paleontology. 

Fossildude19

Welcome to the Forum.  :) 

Unfortunately, you may have to travel a bit farther afield to get to any good hunting sites in Michigan. :unsure: 

This is a good place to start your research. Keep in mind, the information is very, very old, and may no longer be accurate. 

It is important to note that it is incumbent on the individual to secure permission for hunting on private property. 

Some other useful tools:

LINK 1

LINK 2

image034.jpg  minames.gif

Hope this helps.

Good luck. 

Regards, 

Nateseese

Thank you! It sure helps my start into fossil hunting again. 

rockhounder

I personally love hunting in rock quarry. there's a few open to the public if you ask. also over by grand haven there is bass river recreation area. an old quarry. I've found a few really nice coral and trilos and brachipods. I'm sure theres bone frags there too but haven't found any yet. happy hounding!