Rock Identification

Peat Burns

@ynot et al.  How would you characterize this rock?  It's about 2 lbs and has dimensions of 4-1/8" x 2-1/2" x 3".  Heavy, but does not attract to magnet.  I am calling it an "iron-rich concretion".  From glacial deposits in Michigan. Thoughts?

20180205_112000.thumb.png.b322d990cb94d13e157411d6ddde3bc3.png

I would call it ironstone or stony-iron.
Can you determine if the white material is silicate or not?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

3 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

I would call it ironstone or stony-iron.
Can you determine if the white material is silicate or not?

Thanks, abyssunder.  Unfortunately, I have not held the specimen in hand.  The pics were emailed to me for ID.  The gentleman thinks it's a planetary meteorite.  I knew right away it was not. I hate to be the bearer of bad news to him.  But more often than not, I have to tell people that what they have is not a meteorite, fossil egg, dinosaur bone, mammoth bone, etc., etc.  :(.  Hate that.  They are so disappointed...

That was the reason why I asked for the silicate sometimes present in some type of meteorites, but I think the specimen is not one of them, because it has vesicles not characteristic to meteorites with high iron content.
A few weeks ago I've seen on the sale sites of the internet a very similar specimen, unfortunately I haven't made a copy of that picture and I can't find it anymore. Seller listed as a warn iron concretion (maybe from glacial deposit), I can't remember correctly.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Every rock with an orange rind is not an ironstone concretion. Sometimes the interior is not iron at all. Same with black "phosphatic" concretions. They have black on the outside but may be any number of minerals or fossil on the interior. This one is probably iron through and through but wanted to point this distinction out.

• I found this Informative 1