Strange find

Malone

Iron concretion?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

It has copper in it and it seems like a thin calcium ring around the perimeter. I thought maybe an egg that was stepped on prior to embryonic development. I have very little knowledge and fantastic ideas.

1 minute ago, Malone said:

It has copper in it and it seems like a thin calcium ring around the perimeter. I thought maybe an egg that was stepped on prior to embryonic development. I have very little knowledge and fantastic ideas.

I believe this copper colored substance is actually iron oxides, and the white substance may very well be calcium carbonate. Eggs will normally have a sort of bumpy texture that is very unique. Fantastic ideas are good though, and sometimes right, supplemented with knowledge (which I assure you is easily and quickly gained ‘round here, I learn something new with almost every thread).

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thank you for your thoughts! I am very new and I am not even sure if I am using the forum correctly. It is my first time even using social media. Do you respond to comments directly some way or just text it as a comment as part of the general discussion?

They often have a "skin" that can look like some sort of shell, but yes it's a broken iron concretion

Image result for broken iron concretion

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Just now, Malone said:

Thank you for your thoughts! I am very new and I am not even sure if I am using the forum correctly. It is my first time even using social media. Do you respond to comments directly some way or just text it as a comment as part of the general discussion?

If you click on "QUOTE" under an individual message it responds to that person.

General comments on a thread can be made as you are doing.

You soon get the hang of it. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Or you could tag whoever you are addressing. @Malone, see? 

Just @ and then their username. You can also highlight a specific part of a post and then press quote to respond to a specific part. As @Tidgy's Dad said, you’ll get the hang of it.

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Just @ and then their username.

When You do this there will be a dropdown menu. Select the appropriate user name from the list or it does not work.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

18 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

If you click on "QUOTE" under an individual message it responds to that person.

General comments on a thread can be made as you are doing.

You soon get the hang of it. :)

Thank you 

This really does shine like copper. The pictures make look like rust I will try to post a quick video it might show how it flashes.

From the colors I see I think it is mostly a hematite with some pyrite in it.

The pyrite can have a very copperish color when slightly oxidized.

Native copper is also rapidly oxidized in nature and will turn green or blue, so You would not see copper color except on a fresh abrasion or brake.

My photography is not very good. I put it next to a limonite/ hematite/goethite concretion to show the difference negligible as it is. The sheen and range of colors differences. I was wondering if fossils become mineralized as a whole unit like a cast form. I read where concretions are pseudo fossils, but that grow around real fossils.

Also the copper is in a small part in the central area. With rest a combination of common minerals in the locality. The except is the copper, sheenand the white calcium ring.

There are a multitude of iron minerals that can be in a concretion. The appearance of the concretion will be influenced by what minerals are present.

I still see no copper on Yours.

the forum won't allow me to send a macro picture or video. The file size limit is 3.95 and the regular camera hardly shows it. If you zoom in real close you might be able to see it. Anyway I have found many concretions in the area but none with this shape.

4 minutes ago, Malone said:

The file size limit is 3.95

There was a software update recently and it is messing with the size allowed.

The moderators are working on it.

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

They often have a "skin" that can look like some sort of shell, but yes it's a broken iron concretion

Image result for broken iron concretion

I see what you mean. Have you opened one or is better to leave them as a natural specimen?

It's up to you. 

Some of them shatter; some may have something nice in the middle, though most don't. 

I tend to just leave them alone, mostly. unless it's a concretion that i know is from an area that has fossils in the centre of them at times. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

5 hours ago, Malone said:

I read where concretions are pseudo fossils, but that grow around real fossils.

A concretion can be a pseudo fossil if it looks like something that used to be alive but isn't. They can grow around a fossil or pretty well anything else. I've heard that folks who collect them looking for fossils have to break open (some forgotten large number) to find one with a fossil inside but the reward is worth it because of the un-weathered preservation.