Peat Burns

This tool is probably well known to most, but I just discovered it.  So I thought I would share.

When working with a pin vice under the dissecting scope, I'm always having to lean down and blow away dust.  These little non-aerosol dust blowers are available on-line for between $5 & $10.  I prefer the one with a brass tip and one-way valve (it takes air from one end and blows from the other).  Search online as "dust blower" or "dust blower bulb".

FWIW...

Resized_20180205_130939.thumb.jpeg.0594c3e826b16069025eeb5d73c09cc1.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

As i have breathing difficulties, something like this could be most useful. 

Thanks! :)

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, JohnBrewer said:

Would be nice to have a long tube so you can use your foot to compress the bulb :) I use a straw in my mouth with a pin vice (vise) although not of use to you Adam. 

Hey, that's a great idea!  One could easily affix a piece of airline tubing to this.  But you gave me a better idea:  I have a foot pump for my inflatable tender that I could drop-down to aquarium tubing and use a clamp stand and clamp to position the tube where needed.  Thanks for the idea!

31 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

This is why I like air scribes.

They definitely have their uses, and I do use them regularly along with air abraders, but there are certain fossils on which I still prefer to use a pin vice 

1 hour ago, JohnBrewer said:

Would be nice to have a long tube so you can use your foot to compress the bulb :) I use a straw in my mouth with a pin vice (vise) although not of use to you Adam. 

Not much. 

I get wifey to use the fire bellows. ;)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I use a photography lens cleaning bulb with the brush part removed.  

Straws suffer the same thing as trumpets... they build up spit.  

• I found this Informative 3

46 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

They definitely have their uses, and I do use them regularly along with air abraders, but there are certain fossils on which I still prefer to use a pin vice 

I was just being cheeky. 

2 hours ago, jpc said:

I use a photography lens cleaning bulb with the brush part removed.  

Straws suffer the same thing as trumpets... they build up spit.  

I have used a photography bulb in preparing fossils with a dental pick. It worked well at first, but eventually the back of it began to come apart from the rest of the bulb and air would escape out of the back instead of the nozzle. However, it could be that mine was just not well made.

@Peat Burns, thank for showing us this device!