Manticocerasman

Last weekend was a fieldtrip to my usual spot :D the late Devonian in the area of Chimay in Belgium.

And of course hunting for the prized cephalopods.

Althoug the usual deposits are depleted due to the activity in the quarry, there are now new deposits that can be prospected.

A lot of Matagne formation is now exposed, here a lot of small but wel presereved fossils can be found :) , mainly brachiopods, but in the correct layer and with a little patience a few pyritized cephalopods can be discovered, mainly: Bactrites sp. , multiple kinds of Gephuroceratina ( Manticoceras..) and Tornoceras.

The day was cold, rainy and even a few snowflakes, but it was wel worth the trouble.

Thx to Anthonie Hellemond  (President Belgian Paleontological Association 2018)  for the pictures in the field ( and the extra goniatites )

aaa.thumb.jpg.2e36ad40e8c513b32c05da2279e3193d.jpgccc.thumb.jpg.e010aaf20e32c1bc7d395730c9568b99.jpgbbb.thumb.jpg.1fe9517b1b7cba7287cbdff7ac0754e6.jpgddd.thumb.jpg.66e4b094efb259f88ba7f3621cb74060.jpgeee.thumb.jpg.c01761ed4a375b557fadec1590f0a2c2.jpg

Bactrites: 

IMG_20180203_191741.thumb.jpg.c53daf65875611939a7fc5ed530d9a39.jpgIMG_20180205_190246.thumb.jpg.25551eb6b332b7f4f8e759f29efbe84e.jpg

Manticoceras on bottom and a little Tornoceras on top.

5a78a8b7a2976_IMG_20180204_195036(1).thumb.jpg.3377cb4140b4fcd5e7f0f0ce49b52478.jpgIMG_20180205_191941.thumb.jpg.66118258cb3be08878838e114f839c8a.jpg

Oh and in contrast to all the little pyritised fellows there was this one ( also credits to Anthonie for the discovery )

IMG_20180204_134051.thumb.jpg.5fdda24e722072c164d50b1a1a814167.jpg

It wil take a while to prep ....

Cheers,

:ammonite01: Manticocerasman :ammonite01:

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Very nice trip and great finds. The darker coloured matrix certainly makes the pyritized cephs "pop"! Have you managed to encounter any trilobites there, or at least bits?

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Some of those Cephalopods and Ammonites look like they were preserved in a metal coat! Really cool! :ammonite01:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

11 minutes ago, Kane said:

Very nice trip and great finds. The darker coloured matrix certainly makes the pyritized cephs "pop"! Have you managed to encounter any trilobites there, or at least bits?

No trilobites here. In al the years I ve been there i've only seen 2 pygidiums. 

Those are really beautiful! :wub: For some reason the Belgian Devonian has a much more diverse ammonoid fauna than corresponding formations in North America.  If I had a place to collect such fossils I think I'd call in sick to work several times a week.

Don

Truly drool worthy finds, Kevin! :drool:

Thanks for posting these. 

Love the pyritized goniatites.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Looks like you had an amazing time. I could taste those pyrite preserved bactrites and goniatites. Delicious finds. Wish I could have been there to. Great report and gorgeous pics. Thanks for sharing and congratulations. 

Thank you for al the replies.

I have a presentation coming up tomorrow on those cephalopods for my local paleontology club. I'm starting to get nervous :wacko:. wish me luck :)

5 hours ago, Manticocerasman said:

I have a presentation coming up tomorrow on those cephalopods for my local paleontology club. I'm starting to get nervous :wacko:. wish me luck :)

Wish I was in your shoes. I absolutely love presenting (especially stuff like this, which I'm of course passionate about). Go get 'em tiger!:hammer01:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Wonderful finds.

Good luck with the presentation.

Thanks for sharing these beautiful shells.

Do they come out of the ground with the bright sheen?

Do You seal them to prevent oxidation?

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

anybody interested in two used retinas?

Btw,in the first pic there's a suspicious-looking individual handling some Belgian Devonian.

I'd report him to the police ASAP :ninja:B)

3 hours ago, ynot said:

Wonderful finds.

Good luck with the presentation.

Thanks for sharing these beautiful shells.

Do they come out of the ground with the bright sheen?

Do You seal them to prevent oxidation?

They do come out wih the bright sheen, especially on a rainy day when the dust is washed away.

I haven't sealed them yet, I dont know if they are prone to pyrite decay, but I'll probably treat them yust in case.

On 2/6/2018 at 8:55 AM, Manticocerasman said:

BVP? In any case good luck Kevin!

And congrats on those really nice finds!!! Thanks for the great report too. 

I’d love to see some more pictures of the brachiopods also :)

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

47 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

BVP? In any case good luck Kevin!

Yes BVP :)

7 hours ago, Manticocerasman said:

Yes BVP :)

:dinothumb:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Archived