Help start a fossil collection

Darktooth

I am not sure the correct place to post this. Please feel free to move this topic to a more appropriate place. I know there are members who do not have fossil collections of their own or if they do they may not have much. This may due for a variety of reasons. I was wondering if there were any other members out there that would like to join forces and be willing to help get small collections together for those in need. I realize there are individuals that have done this on their own.  I thought it might be nice to start a group that could work together to do this on a larger scale and reach more individuals. I have some ideas on how this could work but before I get to far into it I would like to hear others opinions on it. So please share your input.

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Hi Darktooth, 

Your idea has merit. I have given small fossil collections for educational organizations, enhancing newbie collectors is close to educational activities.

• I found this Informative 1

I have sent out many small collections to those individuals that are just in the beginning stages of their addiction. Most I never hear from again. But that's life. I wish them well in their endeavors.

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

My own bias is that people, including youngsters, don't value fossils in which they haven't invested effort, time, money or a combination of these things.  I don't argue that this is a universal rule, but it is a common experience.  Other opinions?

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

This is exactly why I wanted others opinions. I realize there are those who may not appreciate the gesture as much as we would hope. But on the flip side there are those who would. I don't suggest that we reach out to every Tom, Dick,and Harry that joins the forum and says they don't have anything. But maybe someone who actually participates for a period of time in some meaningful way. Earn it if you will. There are those individuals who are physically unable to field collect, financially restrained from purchasing fossils etc...

But they may have the interest and knowledge or simply a real desire to learn more. I think someone like this would be worth investing in. Also I am not expecting anyone to give away their prized possessions. But most of us have a surplus of things that we no longer look at that someone just starting out would love. Do you remember when you first started out? I do, and every tiny part and piece of a fossil or mineral amazed me.  

@fossilcrazy @caldigger @Harry Pristis

Harry’s adage applies to everything in life, including collecting.  Still, I find fulfillment in giving away certain surplus specimens, particularly unprepped, as my time is a resource in short supply.   Highest grade stuff usually goes to friends, family, and their kids.  Best done in person to avoid cost and effort of shipping.  I usually do bulk donations of B and C grade material to local schools...quick and easy with 2 teachers on my street.  So I think I have charitable outreach well covered in my little neck of the woods, probably having given thousands of fossils to hundreds of kids.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

@Darktooth That is a great idea.  And could probably be elaborated on as you mentioned in your second post.

There are those who would appreciate it and are in need for what ever reason. I know when ever I am given something

I hold on to it and show it off.  I tell everyone that I show it to that it was graciously given to me.  And if I ever need to get rid

of it I do not sell it but pass it along to the next person who would appreciate it.  There are those who do and those who do not.

I especially like to share with kids and those aspiring minds in hopes to spark a scientific interest in them. I have even baited a place

to let them find something so they will not loose interest and continue to look for more.  You members know how that is.  It's addicting.

The adage here may apply...  Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.  Teach a man to fish and he can feed him for ever.

I enjoy this forum because I am learning many things and see a lot of pictures which drives me to get out and hunt for my own finds.  Not to say that just given

something would stop that fever.  I have always been a generous person in my life and always hope that that person pays it forward when they can. 

When we take a beginner skiing we pay for the first lesson but it is understood and told to them that when they bring a beginner they have to pay for their lesson.

It sure lets one know what kind of a person they really are.

I give away a lot of fossils and I would say I get about a 90% positive response. Some people are not in areas where they can readily find fossils and really appreciate the time and effort it takes.to label and id specimens. It does aggravate me when someone want's to trade with me and doesn't send their trade specimens in return. I won't mention any names but it was a FF member. It is nice to donate to local and groups also. Anything we can do to spread interest in fossil hunting is great.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

On 2/6/2018 at 2:52 AM, Harry Pristis said:

My own bias is that people, including youngsters, don't value fossils in which they haven't invested effort, time, money or a combination of these things.

I'm afraid I don't really agree with this... Some of my most prized fossils are those that I got as a gift from friends, family or simply other fossil-lovers. Also, I write down on each label (in addition to all the basic info) who gave the fossil to me and on what date. That way I will always know that I got them thanks to the generosity of other people. Also, it's always great because it makes me relive a very fun or interesting moment that I had with that person. I am also very reluctant to give away fossils (sell/trade/gift) that I myself got from someone else; much more than fossils I personally found (or bought). So it just depends on the person. Some won't find the fossils very valuable, but many others will cherish them forever. 

But Dave, I really like your idea, that would be really nice! I'd say we should try and find some criteria, so that we can see which beginners really seem interested and/or invested in this. I have quite a lot of surplus fossils that would be happy to find a new home :)

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Thanks for your input @Max-fossils

I really respect everyone's opinions.  I am still undecided on which way to go with this.