Malone

Do a search on the Forum for Freeze/Thaw method. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 hours ago, Malone said:

advice on opening concretions without damaging fossils inside?

Show photos. Tim mentions only one of many methods. Sometimes freeze/thaw does more damage than good.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

7 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Show photos. Tim mentions only one of many methods. Sometimes freeze/thaw does more damage than good.

IMG_2210.JPG

3 hours ago, RJB said:

Ive seen a heck of alot of concretions, never seen one like that before?  I wish you good luck.

RB

Thank you!

10 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Could you name some of the other methods please?

4 hours ago, Malone said:

Thank you!

Could you name some of the other methods please?

I wanted to see photos in order to ascertain if any parts of fossils are visible on the surface, since working with a stylus or hand tools are the surest methods. In the case of the one you are showing, however, I have my doubts if you'll find anything in it. Looks extremely mineralized and full of iron compounds. One major difficulty with freeze/dry is that if there are any cracks through the fossil, it will split it as well as the concretion. But you could try that anyway if you like. Otherwise, just give it a couple of good slugs with a hammer.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

4 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I wanted to see photos in order to ascertain if any parts of fossils are visible on the surface, since working with a stylus or hand tools are the surest methods. In the case of the one you are showing, however, I have my doubts if you'll find anything in it. Looks extremely mineralized and full of iron compounds. One major difficulty with freeze/dry is that if there are any cracks through the fossil, it will split it as well as the concretion. But you could try that anyway if you like. Otherwise, just give it a couple of good slugs with a hammer.

I broke one in half but I'm sure that broke what remains were there . Really neat crystal growth though. It looks like liesengang structure in the process of being grown.

IMG_2151.JPG

The cross section looks like a mineralized vein.

There is a lot of oxidized iron, but there are several other minerals evident.

This is not the right type of rock for a fossil.

PS It draws into question about the other thread where the consensus was also concretions.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

8 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

A mineral sandwich! You could go into competition with Burger King :P

With enough ketchup and mustard it might even taste good