Doctor Mud and 6ix go looking for hash

6ix

So as some of you may know, the good Dr has been back in New Zealand and we have had 2 incredible trips so far with the results being accepted by the Canterbury Museum for prep and identification!!

So I took the opportunity of a day off work to take the Good Dr and a friend to a local spot for a nosey around looking for more great Gastropod hash plates like I have all around my garden.

IMG_20180205_123516 (Medium).jpg

Finally we found the source of the hash plates I have been stumbling across for the last few years... (scale dog for scale..)

IMG_20180205_130254 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20180205_130317 (Medium).jpg

I found the biggest shells I have ever seen, so we had to get to work extracting them...  The Good Dr. is a legend with the hammer and chisel..

pipe.jpg

Once we smacked that chunk out of the wall (thanks @Doctor Mud ) - we went & investigate our friends find... some bone in the lower layers!

IMG_20180205_140651 (Medium).jpg

Those concrete layers are just that, concrete!  Took a bit of work, and just turned out to be a fragment...

IMG_20180205_141122 (Medium).jpg

More Hash - 2nd one in is greensand with a "thing" I plan investigating...

IMG_1193 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1194 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1195 (Medium).JPG

Edited, weird repost , some glitch.

Meanwhile: that looks awesome!!!

Nice report!!

Stratigraphic condensation might be the case here\If Castlecliffian.

I have to say @6ix is also a legend in the 4WD department!

What a great trip. It's been great hanging out with 6ix while I've been in NZ.

"Scale Dog" is also great value in the field. Although she lost her tennis ball while we were crossing a river in the 4WD, she was sad for about 5 mins.

Found an old paper I'll send you 6ix it describes the stratigraphy in great detail. Late Miocene early Pliocene marine through to Quaternary terrestrial fluvial.

The mollusk assemblage here is amazing! Such diversity and preservation!

Ha, scale dog...

Nice finds. I wonder if those Shelly layers correspond with the ones over here at Calvert cliffs. Bet at least some do, if they are tied to the climate cycles.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Good report, Gentlemen!

Thanks for posting. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice to see scenery of New Zealand not seen in travel brochures. Does the stream hold trout for @Darktooth. I also love hash plates and you have found some beautiful ones.

Very nice trip! Lovely finds too, especially this image made my mouth water:

IMG_1191 (Medium).JPG

:drool::drool::drool:

Any clue on what the species could be?

Anyways thanks for the report and nice pictures!

Max

(And thanks @Foozil for tagging me; I did enjoy this thread! :D)

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Interesting report and some great finds! @minnbuckeye. I have watched many videos about fishing for wild trout in New Zealand. I would love to fish the rivers and streams there. Now I have a second reason to want to go.:D

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Archived