Doctor Mud and 6ix go looking for hash

6ix

Thanks guys, yeah its nice to go somewhere different.

Yes there were a few bits of bone, one of the photos above has what we suspect is a whale vert.

Those large shells I believe are called Tusk Shells, but which species I have no idea, I can take some close ups of the shell if that can be diagnostic? These bad boys are at least twice the size of the largest I have found at Glen Affrick a few Kms around the coast.  They do have a bit of Paraloid B-72 that good Doctor gifted me so that is bringing out the colour a bit more.

5 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Very nice trip! Lovely finds too, especially this image made my mouth water:

IMG_1191 (Medium).JPG

:drool::drool::drool:

Any clue on what the species could be?

Anyways thanks for the report and nice pictures!

Max

(And thanks @Foozil for tagging me; I did enjoy this thread! :D)

As for the keen fishermen out there - this river mostly flows in the gravel, and can completely dry up on top over summer so not too good for fishing, however within 2 hours of where I live there are no shortage of places to fish trout/salmon - to name a few, the Waimakariri, Hurunui, Waiau, Clarence - and the Lakes - Lake Taylor, Loch Katrine & Lake Sumner...  Also we are one of the few places in the world you can hunt Tahr - they are a "pest" animal here, along with Chamois.

• I found this Informative 1

I really recommend Beau and Maxwells book (available free online!) "Cenozoic Mollusca of New Zealand"

The tusk shells are Fissidentalium and are known from the Late Oligocene to Late Miocene in New Zealand. 27 - 7 million years ago.

IMG_20180205_153435182.thumb.jpg.b846057f0958a2a357c68c2f5e1aeda8.jpg

@6ix behind the wheel with his trusty side-kick Scale Dog (Sophie) who is a bundle of energy. She sat on that ledge behind him the whole time he was driving, except for when she lost her tennis ball in the river while we were crossing. She then ran to the back window and whimpered, pining for her lost ball as it made its way to the Pacific Ocean.

This photo is after the tennis ball incident, it was quickly forgotten as there was plenty to see and another tennis ball waiting at home.

Im gonna miss you guys!

• 2 weeks later...

Ya might have to mirror that photo so our overseas fossil dudes believe I'm driving LOL...