Dino 101 an Online Course by Phil Currie

Troodon

Interested in learning more about dinosaurs for yourself or a member of your family?  Well here is an opportunity to do so with one of the most renowned paleontologist around Dr. Philip Currie.   U of Alberta along with an credited course is offering a FREE version and I've attached a link to learn more about it.  Its a 12 week class starting Feb,  subtitles in Italian, French and German.  Check it out....

https://www.coursera.org/learn/dino101

Dinosaur nomenclature have always confused me. As a result, I have shyed away from learning about these interesting creatures. I completed the first lesson provided and can see already that this course will help beginners understand a unique part of our past. I can now believe the illustrations of dinosaurs in color!!

Viewing the video above, many forum members may conclude that this offering is too basic for their level of sophistication. Don't be fooled. Unless you are a dino expert, you will learn. I took this on line course a while back and very much enjoyed the experience. I have found these MOOCs (Massive Online Open Courses) to be a real resource and have taken the opportunity to explore some diverse areas of interest. Give it a try. I believe you will find it a worthwhile experience.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

1 minute ago, HamptonsDoc said:

Looks fun, just enrolled!  Thanks for the link!

I'm in, think it will be interesting.  Phil is pretty good at all levels.

I have done this course previously, it was very well put together and interesting!

A more advanced follow-up would be great as well someday.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

I signed up and read the first intro parts but the course glossary would not load.

I will continue to try to upload it and be ready for the start. This is something I believe I

have been looking for. Thanks for the suggestion.

Since I'm suggesting it did enroll and finished the first lesson.   Very interesting to see how it progresses.   I think its good for all those that are interested in Dinos or just want to learn.  Not a lot of other similar courses out there like this.  Always something to learn even for those that think they know it all.

Thanks for adding this Frank. I also enrolled and am in the middle of the first lesson.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

15 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I signed up and read the first intro parts but the course glossary would not load.

I will continue to try to upload it and be ready for the start. This is something I believe I

have been looking for. Thanks for the suggestion.

You can start at your pace if you enrolled free online.  Several of us are into the 1st lesson or completed it.

1 hour ago, sixgill pete said:

Thanks for adding this Frank. I also enrolled and am in the middle of the first lesson.

That's great, happy to see how many members have either taken the course or have signed up.

• 2 weeks later...

This has been a very interesting and very informative read.

I am now on the 5th. lesson.  The reading is good.  The video presentations are great.

And the site additional readings and videos are good too. This has really been fun. Thanks for the recommendation.

Archived